Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Mum's going on palliative care

(4 Posts)
ChilliChipolatas Tue 24-Oct-17 21:52:43

This is really hard for me to write, but today we found out my mum is no longer getting her life saving treatment for a terminal illness due to other complications. She is going on palliative care and we are meeting with her doctors tomorrow. My mum is aware of everything that’s happening, I really don’t know what we can ask the doctors other than how long has she got, but I don’t know if she’d want to know the answer, so I’ve got to broach the subject with her first. I’m just so lost to what we can do other than get her and give her all the support she needs. I’m at a loss really and am asking if you have experienced this, how this meeting is going to go, I just don’t know what to ask. Thanks

user1494050295 Tue 24-Oct-17 21:56:59

I am so sorry. Had this with my mum last year. Be with her as much as you can. I have no regrets. Was there for her every day. Can't offer anything else. (on a practical side I hope everything financial/papers are in order).

Summer1986 Tue 24-Oct-17 21:57:40

I'm sorry to read this.
I was in your position 2.5 years ago with my late Mom. She wasn't elderly. All I can suggest is that you take whatever time you have left to treasure as a family. If your mom doesn't want to know her prognosis in terms of time but you do you could always ask the Drs in private. From my experience, Mom knew when her last couple of days were approaching and she gave us some instructions about her funeral wishes. My mom was only palliative for a short period, less than a week but she was extremely unwell.
Take care and look after yourself flowers

ChilliChipolatas Wed 25-Oct-17 11:43:50

Thanks for your advice and I’m sorry about for your losses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now