Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Renal failure

(6 Posts)
user263781638 Thu 19-Oct-17 18:55:22

My grandads in a care home and had been rushed to hospital unresponsive we have since been told it's renal failure but he's still having test, what does this mean!? I have no idea and I'm so worried 😭

pantrylightout Thu 19-Oct-17 19:01:34

My husband is waiting for a transplant and has renal failure at the moment. They may be testing his kidney function. If it is below 15 he could need dialysis or a transplant. I hope all is okay.Best wishes.

user263781638 Thu 19-Oct-17 19:06:04

Probably should have put some background but this came at such a shock, he's late 70's has pancreatic cancer (which is being dealt with using watch and wait) has dementia and recently had a pacemaker fitted. I can't see them wanting to give him a transplant or dialysis 😭
So sorry to heard about your situation, hope your husband gets a transplant soon flowers

pantrylightout Fri 20-Oct-17 09:49:50

Thanks, i hope Grandad is comfortable as hospitals can be confusing if dementia is involved. Sometimes lifes a bit shitty isnt it. Take care and remember to breathe, I know that sounds a bit silly but taking deep breathes does help when dealing with bad news. I will keep checking in case you want to write again x

miniloco Fri 20-Oct-17 10:08:37

Sorry to hear about your grandad flowers
This likely means that blood tests shows your grandads kidneys are failing/have failed. The blood test detect levels of waste products (very basic description), if this number if high then it indicates his kidneys are not getting rid of the waste products. The blood tests won't explain why this has happened though.
Sometimes this can happen in elderly people through dehydration and giving fluids can help this. Sometimes there's a more serious underlying cause. Hope you get more information soon. Dont be afraid as a family to ask to speak to a consultant/senior Dr for a proper update if u feel you aren't getting enough information.

user263781638 Fri 20-Oct-17 10:28:12

Thank you.
They've got him on fluids and as of last night expect this to help him, if it's been caused by dehydration this is something I'll be taking up with the care home, I feel like they've failed him the past couple of weeks for numerous reasons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now