Talk

Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Memory clinic

(6 Posts)
MynewnameisKy Sun 03-Sep-17 23:34:21

My DM has been referred to the Memory clinic. She is still quite with it so referred mostly as a precaution. I hope.

Yesterday morning the hospital phoned and asked to speak to her. Gave her the details of the appointment which she remembered except for where it us / the directions how to get there! shockhmm

Is it just me or should the people making appointments for the "Memory clinic" not have a bit more sense.

SuperDiaperBaby Mon 04-Sep-17 09:33:06

Same for ours - it is a source of constant amusement to me. Why would they ring not write a letter so that you can refer back to it? It must be the most dispiriting job - I wonder what the no show rate is. I have heard that some clinics travel to the patients to catch them at home which sounds sensible to me.

Needmoresleep Mon 04-Sep-17 15:17:42

Type up a letter for her to sign saying she would like them to contact you over appointments.

But yes I know. Even several years into this, and with a POA I have not managed to train the GP to phone me rather than my mum. So she gets test results, appointments etc and I only find out when I chase.

PerfumeIsAMessage Sun 10-Sep-17 13:23:19

Tbf, when my Mum was first referred to the memory clinic she was still driving, organising coach trips for various associations and a shrewd landlady and was fairly aghast at being asked to go.
Hope it goes well for yours.

Jugglingballs65 Sun 10-Sep-17 13:29:12

We normally go by what the referral says from the GP re who to make contact with. Sometimes it says a relative sometimes not. We also send letters out both to the patient and/or relative. We need a patients consent to contact relatives unless the patient clearly doesnt have capacity and is at risk.
We do get a few no shows and have been asked by senior managers why!

wonkylegs Wed 18-Oct-17 19:58:05

I got my mum to tell the hospital to contact me about appointments for this very reason and I make sure the details go in her calendar and remind her regularly. However I was slightly amused when the memory clinic phoned me to ask what time they had made the next appointment for as they 'couldn't remember' - they had phoned my mum but had confused her thoroughly and so thought they'd try me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now