Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a lookVisit the Dementia Talk topic

Assets and what to do for the best

(3 Posts)
jeaux90 Sun 02-Apr-17 11:01:42

Hi All,

My elderly parents are now reliant on daily carers. They live near by but my sister and I both work full time and single parents so mostly our care is weekends.

I have POA and my parents have asked me to sell their bungalow and get a small flat nearer to me.

SS have now asked for a capital assessment to pay for the care and are suggesting they need to go into sheltered housing.

Question is, can SS force them into social housing? It's not what my parents want. Also with the care assessment they have no savings really but do they take the house into account as capital?

I am more than happy to pay for carers once I have sold the house and got them in a flat.

My parents want to stay living independently but with daily care.

Any advice would be great thanks!!

AstrantiaMajor Sun 02-Apr-17 11:55:01

It is just a suggestion, No-one can make your parents move. The financial assement will take account of their income and any savings and investments. The house does not count as capital. If one goes into a home the house/flat will be disregarded while a surviving spouse lives in it. Take advice from a solicitor as to whether they should purchase the new flat as tenants in common rather than joint tenants.

jeaux90 Mon 03-Apr-17 10:13:35

Astrant many thanks I hadn't thought about the new purchase in those terms. I will speak to our lovely solicitor.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: