Talk

Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

What to do with mobility equipment?

(11 Posts)
Noitsnotteatimeyet Sun 26-Mar-17 12:12:56

Now that my dad's moved into a nursing home we need to clear his flat so we can sell it...

He's got loads of mobility aids etc and I'm wondering what to do with them. There's a three-wheeled rollator which has barely been used and we bought a riser-recliner chair at enormous cost which my mum only used for about two weeks before she went to the hospice. What do we do with all this stuff? Sell it? (But where?), take it to the charity shop?? Help!

TheFirstMrsDV Sun 26-Mar-17 12:22:32

Is any of it from the NHS? If so you can call the Occupational Therapy dept to have it collected.
There is a market for second hand mobility equipment on Ebay if you can face the faff.
I think its a better solution than a charity shop. There is less of a chance of someone who needs it finding it.
You could be doing someone a massive favour by listing good quality, cheap equipment on Ebay.

TheFirstMrsDV Sun 26-Mar-17 12:22:55

Just a thought. Would the Red Cross be able to use it?

ggirl Sun 26-Mar-17 12:24:21

Don't sell the riser recliner until you know he won't need it in the nursing home. Some homes make the residents buy their own reclining chairs.

Noitsnotteatimeyet Sun 26-Mar-17 12:49:32

Some of it is from the NHS so that can go back to the company contracted out to provide it but we bought quite a bit of it ourselves.

ggirl I've asked him if he wants the recliner in his room but for some reason he hates it (I think he might associate it with my mum's illness)

I've had a look at eBay and things go remarkably cheaply... the recliner cost more than £1000 new and they're going for about £150 confused

averylongtimeago Sun 26-Mar-17 13:02:46

The nhs will take back all their equipment, if you contact the local hospital / gp/ district nurses they will point you in the right direction.
Out local social services department organised a van to collect everything, they came with a list.

If you don't need to sell, try the local Salvation Army, they helped my DMil a lot and we passed all her stuff on to them. Her reclining chair was passed on to another local lady, who couldn't otherwise have afforded one.

ggirl Sun 26-Mar-17 13:35:12

Ask the nursing home if any of the other residents need a recliner?

BackforGood Sun 26-Mar-17 14:07:38

If you are on Facebook they have local selling groups, and there's Gumtree (thinking a local collection would be better than courier for E-Bay)

Near us there are 2 hospitals that work with primarily older folk, and also an orthopeadic hospital - it would be worth looking somewhere like that to see if they have a noticeboard you could put a card in - you would be targeting the right 'audience' then.

Helenluvsrob Sun 26-Mar-17 14:10:09

Recliner and wheely walker might be needed in the home - you never know. Or donate to Red Cross or similar equipment loans

BackforGood Sun 26-Mar-17 14:12:51

Actually just had a google. There are plenty of sites that are specifically for buying and selling mobility equipment Here

Noitsnotteatimeyet Sun 26-Mar-17 16:07:57

Thanks for the suggestions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now