Talk

Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Dad becoming incontinent at night what pants to get any advice please?

(23 Posts)
yohoohoo Fri 24-Mar-17 09:53:01

My Dad is 85 lives on his own and is unstable on his legs and walks with a frame. He uses urine bottles at night as it is too much for him to get to the bathroom. He's just fractured his ankle as well so that hasnt help matters.

Problem we have at the moment is hes waking 2-3 times a night to wee time he gets up to get his bottle he's more or less done it...every morning bed is having tk be washed and he is having to bed changed.

Daytime doesnt seem too much of a problem but night time isnt great.

My brother is staying and helping him out at the moment ... he dies have a carer morning and evening to help but with the ankle situation needs more help
But my brother is having to get up 2-3 per night plus strip wash his bedding and him its becoming a nightmare.

He needs to wear something at night...im thinking when the carer comes at night before bed to put it on him the in the morning to take it off.

Ive messaged dads OT to see if she can help but Im going to go yo Asda or Boots today to get something in the meantime...can anyone advise what to get

Penfold007 Fri 24-Mar-17 10:00:05

The TENA range is quite good, they do a pull on pant for men. Boots should have a decent range of products. It's also worth considering the side fastening pads as they seem to contain more liquid.
My dad's OT got the continence nurse to come and see him, we now get supplies delivered to home every three months on prescription so no charge. It has been a great help.

Mary21 Fri 24-Mar-17 10:02:21

Was also going to suggest the continence service

Nanasueathome Fri 24-Mar-17 10:02:22

As poster above, continence nurse should be able to assist and prescribe pants as required

yohoohoo Fri 24-Mar-17 10:04:52

Penfold thanks for this information. Ive text the OT so will mention this to her. My Dad wont like it but he will just have to get used to it

yohoohoo Fri 24-Mar-17 10:06:05

Ah ok in the meantime Im going to get something from boots

jeaux90 Sat 25-Mar-17 19:31:13

The products the incontinence nurse brought for my parents wasn't great to be honest. We use stay dry for my dad and Tena for mum.

My dad hated using them at first too but you just have to make it matter of fact with them.

(My tact was no one wants to be near someone smelling of wee and washing the stuff all the time is a pain in the ass)

yohoohoo Mon 27-Mar-17 15:41:20

Tried the Tena Slip last night but it soaked through, trying the next size up tonight...so stressful sad

yohoohoo Mon 27-Mar-17 15:41:53

still waiting for the incontinence nurse to call for an appt

Penfold007 Mon 27-Mar-17 15:45:43

yohoo my DDad found the slips useless especially at night, they don't absorb enough and just don't provide enough coverage especially when lying down. A full man pant or the sort with sticky side fasteners work much better. Might also be worth discussing a catheter with the nurse.

yohoohoo Mon 27-Mar-17 16:57:30

The slips do have the sticky side fastners I thought

Penfold007 Mon 27-Mar-17 18:05:27

I'm working out how to be tactful here so forgive me. Are the slips underpants liners or more like an adult 'nappy'? We had to go down that route which was tough for DD and DM but it did work

yohoohoo Tue 28-Mar-17 11:21:57

Adult nappy type thing not pants as the pants wouldnt be enough for through the night.

yohoohoo Tue 28-Mar-17 12:35:26

ahhhhhh wet again this morning using the Tena Maxi SLips

Panga63 Tue 28-Mar-17 19:21:41

We had to try several different brands to get the right fit/waist size for body shape - as with babies. NHS ones are rubbish. Pull up style pants with an additional front pad or a puppy training mat under the bottom sheet worked well (belt and braces approach!) Plactic undersheet gets too hot/noisy. The pants with tapes on the side are better to change someone who is bedbound and cant help remove the pants.

Panga63 Tue 28-Mar-17 19:29:43

When u do find a brand that works we found that Boots chemist can order them in for you (or order online and get delivered).

TooTiredToBeCreative Tue 28-Mar-17 19:32:04

I get DF's from Age Uk, I think they are slightly cheaper than buying on the high street and you can get VAT relief.

JaneEyre70 Tue 28-Mar-17 19:45:27

The continence nurse should be able to advise on absorbency but having worked as a carer, most people still end up wet no matter what pad they wear..... you can get cotton feel waterproof covers, as keeping the bed dry is the most important part. And pampers change mats are great (Aldi do their own version) for a bit of extra protection. Just try and be gentle around your dad, it's a really hard issue to accept you can't control your bladder. It may also be worth checking his medication with his GP just to make sure that nothing is interfering with his bladder function.

FadedRed Tue 28-Mar-17 19:54:08

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here, but if this is a new problem, then has he been checked over by the GP to rule out a treatable condition? For example urinary tract infection, diabetes or prostate enlargement?Many people accept continence issues as a 'normal' part of aging, and just start using pads for management, but it could be something that could be treated.
Also, ensure Dad Is not restricting his fluid intake in an attempt to minimise the incontinence, as fluid restriction can worsen continence problems and lead to further health issues.

Minniemagoo Tue 28-Mar-17 20:01:41

Our DD has night problems (ASD related) and rather than changing full bed clothes every time we put layers on the bed. Put on a mattress liner, then flat sheet, then liner, then sheet. So when the first one gets wet we just remove it and it saves having to fully dress the bed.
Hopefully you will find a liner that fits and works.

friskybivalves Tue 28-Mar-17 20:46:54

My grandad had this problem. He seemed to leak pretty much all the time (is 90 plus).

He now has a catheter and it has been a godsend. He was getting awful nappy rash and was red and raw.

Now it's fine - apart from when he pulls it out by mistake and it has to be put. back in. Doesn't happen too often!

Panga63 Wed 29-Mar-17 07:06:43

Convene (an external condom like catheter with collecting bag) might also be an option. Continence nurses know about them but are reluctant to prescribe as more expensive than pads or pants. You can get the nurse to get you samples (measuring for the correct size is interesting) but Convene are much better than pads (unless doubly incontinent).

ringlingsisters Wed 29-Mar-17 07:32:09

We found Boots Staydry night for men pants were the best option - DDad could have got the slips via the NHS for free but they were worse than useless.

Do check for UTI though, and agree with FadedRed about ensuring he's drinking enough - DDad probably wasn't but no amount of persuasion would make him drink more, and lack of fluids impacts so much on other areas, like absorption of medications etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now