Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a lookVisit the Dementia Talk topic

Elderly Father fractured ankle, not mobile - any suggestions on help?

(12 Posts)
yohoohoo Mon 20-Mar-17 16:58:16

Really worried and dont know what to do. In a nutshell Dad 85 lives on own has carers in morning and evening for abit to help...with breakfast, making bed, emptying bottles etc. So care fairly low level but now he's broke his ankle after a fall. A fracture so in a big boot rather than plastered. He walks with a frame as legs are very weak and has lung problems. So gone from being fairly mobile to not.

Currently Brother has booked 2 weeks off work to help him as he cant walk on his own so using wheelchair but brother has to go back to work after next week. Boot has to be on for another 5 weeks. Today Dad has walked a little on the boot so building his confidence up/

Called OT today they said to call Adult care, spoke to the assessment team who said they cant put in anymore care as really need to get him mobile. Just spoke to to the physio/rehab team who say not much they can do until the fracture is healed but is coming out tomorrow to see him.

Anyone got any suggestions? Could he perhaps go somewhere for a couple of weeks at least to help get him on his feet? Who would deal with this???

averythinline Mon 20-Mar-17 17:03:38

I think he will need to pay for extra care....I would go back to social services ...MIL broke her arm and rehab people sent someone for 4 weeks x2 small amounts a day - that was free as part of rehab after fracture ...after that she paid for carers to come in..arranged via an agency
Is his existing care funded or is it self funded ? there is nothing to stop you/db phoning an agency and arranging care if he is over the paying limit
If he needs to go in somewhere - FIL was paying £700 a week in Norfolk..

averythinline Mon 20-Mar-17 17:06:24

Sorry meant to say if it is care needs then needs to come from Social Services - thing often need reassessing so dont hesitate to go back to them- if they think he need to go in a home then they may put a charge on any property if there is no cash...
its a bloody awful system....

LIZS Mon 20-Mar-17 17:09:21

When dm broke her arm then needed an abdominal op she booked herself into a care home so that she had assistance afterwards and didn't need to worry about meals etc. Many will do short term stays but obviously he'd have to pay.

ggirl Mon 20-Mar-17 17:59:15

there is a 4-6 week set up of care by the SS after fall that involves hospital in our area. Are you sure there isn't similar ? Was your father offered anything on discharge ?
I would call social services again before you go the route of finding a care home yourself

yohoohoo Mon 20-Mar-17 19:40:24

It was A & E he went to so hone same day no one asked about his care. Spoke tl social care team today the wont put extra care in. They might if he is mobile. Really struggling to see what we can do. The physio woman said ahe would come tom to see what help they can do once fracture is mended so getting that balling but for now really dont know. No one seems to be able to help.

ggirl Mon 20-Mar-17 23:09:07

Sounds like an appalling discharge from A&E in my opinion.

Sounds like he is partially mobile , he can weight bear and stand up and sit in a chair etc , have you told SS this? See what they can offer..I am confused as to why they can only offer care if he is mobile?

Alternatively you can approach care agencies and care homes and ask for them to assess him.

Breadnroses Sun 26-Mar-17 13:22:35

Hi yoohoo

You need to go back to social services. Your father is entitled to a reassessment due to change in need. Explain that he currently has reduced level of mobility, needs support with accessing the bathroom, meal and drink preparation and support for him to practice mobilising.

You could also ask the community therapy team to push with social services.

Focus on the change in need part, your father is entitled to the reassessment as stated in the Care Act. It isn't about him needing to be mobile, it's about the local authority supporting whilst your father has an increase in need.

yohoohoo Mon 27-Mar-17 15:27:20

So far this is what Ive achieved OT came out and have offered to visit a couple of times a week to do visits.

Nurse is coming twice a week to dress his ankle - it's dead skin apparently that is weeping

Care Company are going to see if they can change hours for us - we dont need any extra care at present just morning and evening times moving forward and back.

Have referred to an incontinence nurse as my Dad is getting up 2-3 times a night to use his bottles and cant hold it in time so is wetting the bed and himself every single night.

Ive bought some Tena "nappy" type things but last night wasnt successful he was soaking this morning sad Trying a strong one tonight

Breadnroses Tue 28-Mar-17 23:46:42

It's good that things are moving for your Dad.
Re the incontinence and his bed, you can buy kylie sheets, they are absorbent washable over sheets that tuck in. So your Dad would still wear the Tena, and pyjamas.

If you search for kylie sheets on google you can compare prices, and mobility shops also sell them.

Breadnroses Tue 28-Mar-17 23:48:44

This sort of thing.

ImperialBlether Tue 28-Mar-17 23:50:40

Try asking for the Tena pads on prescription (ie for free) through his doctor. They can be very, very expensive otherwise. Amazon deliver the large packets if you do have to pay for them.

It's such a horrible situation for you. Would he consider residential care?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: