Talk

Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

noticeably aging

(3 Posts)
damnedgrubble Sun 12-Mar-17 10:06:22

My mother came over for dinner yesterday, she's been worried for a while that her mental capabilities are declining but we've reassured her even though we've noticed it as well.

Yesterday it was as if she was cold, she was shivering and we asked if she was cold but she said it's just how she shakes now. She was also talking about going to a support group for a condition that she has recently been diagnosed with but several times she got the name of the condition wrong. My other parent has recently been diagnosed with dementia and needs to be in a care home and my mother is terrified that she is going the same way. Her brothers and both parents have/had dementia so there is a big family history of it.

She's noticeably aged over the last week, I see her several times a week usually but always once a week so I wouldn't necessarily expect to see a difference but it's very obvious this time.

Needmoresleep Mon 13-Mar-17 09:31:46

That sounds worrying. Have you researched her illness and possible links with dementia?

That aside, it is positive she is sharing her worries. It gives you a chance to hope for the best but plan for the worst. If it is dementia there may well be a period where she stops realising there is a problem. Now is the time to organise a POA, and to discuss options like sheltered housing should things continue to deteriorate.

damnedgrubble Mon 13-Mar-17 14:44:36

Thanks for replying. That sounds worrying, I guess I was hoping to hear that I was worrying for nothing even though I know it's most likely the start of dementia. We already have poa in place, never needed it though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now