Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a lookVisit the Dementia Talk topic

Suporting a relative in a care home

(6 Posts)
wonderstuff Wed 08-Mar-17 19:45:12

Wondering if anyone has experience I can draw on. My father died in December and this has left me as next of kin for my great uncle. He is in a care home, in his 90s, and losing most senses. He's in London, but welsh-speaking friends report he converses more easily in Welsh.

We're having difficulty getting his bills paid, dad used to get him to sign cheques, but he isn't now able to sign his name, he can't see the cheque properly and can't put enough pressure on the pen to make a mark. The council are chasing for money, but we're at a loss at how to pay them. The bank haven't been helpful, nor have the council. The care home think that social services need to be involved, but social services say to get a solicitor. My dad had power of attorney, but obviously that's no good now, he'd not invoked it. My uncle has some capacity, he has days when he holds a conversation, he's more likely to do this in Welsh, which I don't speak. I'm not sure what to do next, he has money it seems, bank statements were amongst my fathers paperwork, but in several accounts, and is getting a pension. He needs a new wheelchair, and has funds but no way to access them. It's stressing my mum out, who is kindly contacting the council and such, they are being quite threatening, but I've no idea what to do.

thesandwich Sat 11-Mar-17 08:49:24

What a difficult situation. Could you contact age uk? They should be able to give some guidance.
Some solicitors offer free half hour consultations.

wishcarry Sat 11-Mar-17 08:53:42

I don't have much advice,but thesandwich has some good suggestions.just thought I'd give your post a bump.

triskele Sat 11-Mar-17 08:58:35

If he does have some capacity and a doctor will verify this you can still get POA - no need for solicitor either - through the office of public guardianship.

You can order a form and it costs, I think, £120 to do. He needs to understand what he is signing but if he has moments of capacity he can still do this if doctor signs.

Not sure how to get past the Welsh thing though sorry. You might get forms with Welsh instructions too.

What a sad situation. Social services are not interested as he's self funding.

weaselwords Sat 11-Mar-17 09:01:39

I think you need to look at court of protection and deputeeship

hatgirl Wed 15-Mar-17 22:58:58

Long shot but try emailing

and request the POA forms in large print Welsh or Welsh audio.

They should try and provide the forms in a format your uncle can access.

Alternatively if it's the council that are chasing him for money I would suspect you would have an argument for making them responsible to for ensuring enable uncle is able to pay, most councils have access to translation services.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: