Talk

Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Disconnecting night bag (catheter) - any ideas?

(4 Posts)
OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Mon 20-Feb-17 09:58:30

My dad is immobile and has dementia and wears a catheter. Trouble is, he has developed a habit of disconnecting the tube from the night bag, leaving it to drain in his bed all night.

We've tried putting heavy duty tape around the joint but he just peels it off.

Any ideas?

Coldhandscoldheart Mon 20-Feb-17 10:02:47

Can you thread the tubing down the leg of his pyjamas? It can be a bit of a faff, but you should be able to drop the bag through the leg before he puts them on. Also possibly using one of the leg bag bands to hold it to his leg, he may be finding the movement of the tubing irritating.

Otherwise could you give him something else to fiddle with in bed? I think some people use Lamaze style toys for this. I think once you have hold of something like that, (especially if it has peely tape!) it can be remarkably hard to let go, even if you do know the consequences iyswim.

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Mon 20-Feb-17 15:52:41

Great idea, we have some of those tangle toys around, I'll give that a try - thanks!

Coldhandscoldheart Mon 20-Feb-17 19:26:26

Thinking about it more, you could maybe try wrapping something like a bandage around it, up & down the length of the catheter as far as possible. Again, a bit of a faff for every day, but it may reduce the irritation/ sweatiness of the tubing against his skin?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now