Talk

Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Hiring a stairlift, short-term

(10 Posts)

We may be having MIL to stay for a few weeks because she has broken her collarbone.

Amongst other worries I have about the stay, we only have one loo, it's upstairs and she has to be helped upstairs. I work part-time and so can't be there all the time.

I woke up this morning to the bright idea of having a temp stairlift fitted. The stairs are basic straight up, if a little steep.

So - is this possible, and affordable does anyone know?

BobbieDog Sat 28-Jan-17 07:54:14

You can rent stair lifts no problem. You will have a few small holes in your carpet and wall once they remove it.

How is her mobility in general? If it's not great it may be much better to get a commode instead

Brontebiscuits Sat 28-Jan-17 07:54:47

A cheaper alternative would be a commode. Although someone would have to empty it! (Not to mention your MIL agreeing to use it).

BobbieDog Sat 28-Jan-17 07:57:22

A quick google tells me that to install, remove and rent for 6 weeks you would be looking at £800

PurpleWithRed Sat 28-Jan-17 07:57:38

www.sabre-stairlifts.co.uk/stairlift-rentals.html

Doable. Having a commode downstairs in public rooms is not quite the same thing as having one in a bedroom upstairs.

BobbieDog Sat 28-Jan-17 07:58:41

The commode would only need to be used when no one was in though

Essexmum69 Sat 28-Jan-17 08:06:27

With a broken collarbone getting up the stairs is not likely to be the only barrier to independant toileting, they can be extremely painful and debilitating. Which arm, dominant or not? Will she be able to wipe, pull up knickers etc?
If looking at a stairlift which side are the controls relative to her arm #. For walking up stairs what side is your banister?
If you can get her safely upstairs, can she have a sitting area so she can stay there while you are out eg on same floor as the toilet?

She will be into her fourth week, post-break, when we will be looking after her. She has been staying with SIL since it happened (she has a downstairs loo) but they are going away for several weeks so it's our turn.

MIL lives alone since PIL died 18 months ago. Her mobility is generally good and she is quite independent although she says she gets lonely in the evening sometimes. She has a stairlift at home, fitted for PIL.

I have to add that I hardly know her - she doesn't make her opinions known (she is very much a 'whatever you want to do' kind of person. She is very very deaf, in her 80s. I think there is no way she would ever use a commode!

SIL has kindly written me a 'care plan' which she lists all I might need to know. Including to watch her on the stairs because she's unsteady. Which is why I wondered about a temp stairlift.

Essexmum - a sitting area upstairs, now that is a good idea!

She will be using my sons old room, which is small, but it has a tv. Perhaps putting an armchair upstairs could be the answer.

TheHouseOfIllRepute Sat 28-Jan-17 13:05:50

Cheaper to get a second bannister rail fitted then can use her non-injured side

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now