Talk

Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Gaining access to sheltered housing scheme flat after owner dies

(5 Posts)
mummybear25 Mon 23-Jan-17 19:20:47

My Aunt has just died and unfortunately the hospital have mislaid/lost the keys to her flat. I tried to contact the warden of the flats today but could not get hold of them. So, I rang the management company to explain that I need access to the flat to find the various bits of paper my Aunt prepared in advance of her death. The Management Company say they cannot let me in as there is no document authorising my access. My brother is an Executor, does he have any rights to enter the property? Any ideas as to how we should proceed? Many thanks

whataboutbob Mon 23-Jan-17 19:38:48

Sounds like they are being awkward. I think if your brother is listed as executor in her will that is a powerful thing and he should get access. Make sure the management company are aware that he is executor.

mummybear25 Mon 23-Jan-17 19:57:15

To a certain extent I appreciate their point of view - how do I prove a link to my Aunt (other than there are photo's of me in her flat)? Also the person I spoke to today was going to do some more finding out and they haven't got back to me yet. But I need to explore all options as myself and my brother live 4 and 6 hours away resepctively and are going down for a couple of days this week to register the death and start the ball rolling on the funeral and probate. Although we now have her solicitor's details we know she prepared various documents for when the time came and we need those urgently. Would a copy of the death certificate or any documentation from the solicitor help? Just wondered if anyone had been in this position before...

mummybear25 Tue 24-Jan-17 18:04:38

Hurray - Warden is back and she knows of spare keys. We can get in and start to plan the funeral we hope our Aunt would find fitting. Thanks for reading/responding

whataboutbob Tue 24-Jan-17 21:22:18

Well done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now