Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a lookVisit the Dementia Talk topic

Holiday carer cover?

(5 Posts)
toastyarmadillo Wed 04-Jan-17 20:53:43

Hi, my DM and I care for my 88 year old granny, she's fairly independent but due to complex reasons she has an injunction and police involvement to keep her safe. We booked the holiday of a life time a year ago before we started helping her as much. Initially we thought we could organise respite care for two weeks, she was quite happy to go into a home while we were away. However, we are having issues finding a placement that will allow us to book two specific weeks. We are happy to pay privately, but apparently respite is not prearranged more a last minute urgent type thing.

We have looked into carers coming to the house, she would only really need them in twice a day which wouldn't mean someone would be there to ensure her safety. Mainly to ensure she isn't exposed to further cohesive control.

I think my biggest worry is the person she has an injunction against is likely to try and hassle her into dropping charges either himself or by getting another estranged family member to talk her into it, or even try to move back in. Woman's Aid suggested age concern, who I am waiting to get back to me. I wondered if it's possibly to hire a companion/carer for just two weeks?

What do you do when you need carer cover, there isn't any family able to step in for the two weeks, she's too frail to come with and doesn't want to, I need to know she will be safe and protected. I'm on the verge of telling the family to go without me.

Needmoresleep Thu 05-Jan-17 09:17:38

Social services should be able to suggest agencies. Saga for example offer 24 hour live in care. If you give SS the background they may have ideas of reliable local agencies/branches of agencies who can cope with difficult situations involving vulnerable people.

toastyarmadillo Fri 06-Jan-17 08:14:46

Thank you for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it. I will contact the one you suggested today and update the thread with any outcomes incase anyone else needs similar information in the future. Thank you.

user1485583137 Sat 28-Jan-17 10:32:13

If you aren't comfortable leaving your loved one in your house, then you have out-of-home respite care options. Also, if the break is required, in your own home arrangements can be made for a carer to come in and care for you or your loved one. Many respite NJ care centers can be chosen while you are away for a vacation. These can be planned in advance or used in an emergency. It just requires proper planning.

madasamarchhare Tue 07-Feb-17 13:58:53

Bluebird is another agency that will provide whatever care is required - obviously at a cost! They will let you plan ahead and detail exactly how much or how little care is needed and when.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: