Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Lightweight kettle or one cup water heater?

(10 Posts)
HeddaGarbled Sat 03-Dec-16 23:56:40

Mum can't lift the kettle anymore. She is thinking about getting a one cup water heater. Has anyone used one of these? Do they work?

Losgunna Sat 03-Dec-16 23:59:52

I have a one cup kettle. I think it's brilliant. Very very quick to boil, much safer to use (my 3yo makes cups of tea/coffee with supervision) and you can just put your cup under the spout and forget about it.

They are about as easy to fill as a normal kettle but you can do it with a jug if needs be.

10/10 highly recommend

mylittlephoney Sun 04-Dec-16 00:02:56

The only problem I find with the one cup thingys is the water tastes stale. I'm a bit of a tea freak and it has to come from freshly drawn water or it tastes shite. Personally id go for a tiny kettle. But it's up to your mum.

Moresaltedcaramel Sun 04-Dec-16 00:06:39

My mum has one and she is very pleased with it. Water tastes fine, not stale at all.

nothruroad Sun 04-Dec-16 00:10:16

I have problems with my hands and wrists and can't lift a kettle. I use a one cup water heater and absolutely love it. I can only fill one or two cups at a time with a plastic jug so the water never tastes stale. It did taste plasticky for the first couple of days but then that stopped. It feels so much safer than even a mini kettle.

DustyMaiden Sun 04-Dec-16 00:10:44

You can buy kettle tippers.

Losgunna Sun 04-Dec-16 11:46:28

I've never had a problem with the water tasting stale with mine either. It only holds four cups which is only a morning with me and dp. Didn't taste plasticy at all either.

I have this one

horizontilting Sun 04-Dec-16 12:45:02

I find it very reassuring with a disabled child that there's no kettle of very hot water sitting on the worktop. Ours is going strong 9 years now (so should have saved the cost of it many times over in reduced electricity, so I'm told).

I also find it dead handy for speeding up cooking as don't have to wait for a saucepan of water to heat.

HeddaGarbled Sun 04-Dec-16 16:45:17

Thank you - that looks like a majority vote for trying one.

CupOfTeaAndAbiscuitPlease Wed 25-Jan-17 20:02:16

If that doesn't work out, would a travel kettle be an option

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now