Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Live In Care

(6 Posts)
margerlyfargerly Thu 22-Sep-16 20:03:00

Just after some comments from people who have been through this or have experience in this field.

My dad has PSP variant of Parkinson's - he has serious balance issues, memory loss, eyesight problems as well as arthritis. He often has falls.

He can't take care of his personal needs, has to be feed & can 'the be left alone.

My mum (and I to an extent) are caring for him at home at present with a carer coming in to get him up & dressed in the morning.

He is 79 & his health is deteriorating.

Whilst my mum is in reasonable health, she is struggling with him.

We are looking for a live in carer. We are based in London.

How much does live in care cost roughly? Is it best to go through an agency or can we confidently find a carer via gum tree/independently? What are the pros & cons?


ZaZathecat Mon 26-Sep-16 15:53:34

I don't know much about this but hope this bump will help.

I have heard via this mumsnet board that having a live-in carer is about the same cost as a care home so that would probably be somewhere in the region of £1000 per week.

Hope somebody can give you more accurate advice.

Sosidges Mon 26-Sep-16 16:38:34

I would try contacting AGEUK. I found them the fount of all knowledge.

Kione Mon 26-Sep-16 16:42:07

Can you get in touch with Social
Services? I am a Social Worker for older people in my area and this is exactly the sort of thing we help with. But where I am legislation is slightly different and costs etc so I can't advice you unfortunatelly.
Good luck.

Lemoncurd Mon 26-Sep-16 16:58:20

In the South East, family are currently paying £825 p/w through an agency. It seems to run quite smoothly, with relief sent one day a week (normally the same person).
I'm not sure how it would work with an individual, whether they would have contacts to provide cover or if you would need to arrange someone so that they could have a break.

Lifeisontheup2 Mon 26-Sep-16 21:07:23

Have you contacted the PSP association. They were very helpful to my FIL.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now