Talk

Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Help - my dad is almost completely deaf

(5 Posts)
Noitsnotteatimeyet Thu 10-Dec-15 08:04:00

He has hearing aids which have been checked several times but he's barely able to hear a thing. Even sitting next to him in a quiet room and talking VERY LOUDLY he's still missing 2/3 of what's said. Other people don't realise it's as bad as it really is as he nods and smiles and says generic things but if you check he's understood it's obvious it was all just noise.

But the real problem is on the phone - he'll call me but won't even try to listen, just talks over me st complete cross purposes- it's so frustrating...

Is there any easy to use technology which could help? He won't text (got rid of his mobile) and he's not very dexterous so anything too fiddly wouldn't work

Any ideas please?

NotCitrus Thu 10-Dec-15 08:25:45

He could use any form of instant messaging - Facebook chat would be the easiest to set up. Or get him a textphone, ideally a Screenphone, so he can use BT Text Relay and the voice of the other person will get transcribed.

Nicer to use is Next Generation Text Relay (NGTR) for phoning and you can switch between voice and typing, and its a free app for PC or a smartphone, but it's a right git to set up - seek out online instructions.

In the room, make sure you get his attention, then say the subject of the conversation, then talk facing him - makes lipreading much more feasible if you know what the topic is!

Noitsnotteatimeyet Fri 11-Dec-15 08:53:44

Thanks not

I can't see him using Facebook chat but will investigate screen phones

AllChangeLife Fri 11-Dec-15 08:57:26

Have a look at the Action on Hearing Loss shop. They do lots of tech for people with hearing loss... amplified phones etc!

Noitsnotteatimeyet Fri 11-Dec-15 16:47:28

Thanks - they were v helpful and we've ordered an amplified phone and conversation enhancing mic- fingers crossed he'll get on with them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now