Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

I think I need some very specific legal advice and don't know where to find it. Any ideas.

(5 Posts)
Helenluvsrob Fri 20-Nov-15 15:48:00

Basically there has been a complete balls up with care home fees.

It's partially around the 12 week disregard and advice that we would qualify but , now they say not , and we need to complete a new financial assessment if we think that is the case. Initial advice was that the savings limit of 23k did not apply for this, but apparently it does.

I am scrabbling around for financial info from 8 months ago (when TBH I was in a whirl just after mum died ) to see if it's worth submitting this.

Also I have been paying a " third party top up " direct to the home , which I understood was the deal but apparently I should have paid to soc services. I fail to understand that at all.

Now one dept at soc services is off yo speak to another basically as its " not their fault" .

I have spoken to central age uk and they have been very helpful and have put me onto the local team. Rang them, and they are sweet and well meaning and offered to write me a letter. Don't think this is what I need. I'm not an inarticulate scared old person ( though I would be if I was old, I've already had a debt collection type letter just 2 weeks after the bill!) I need a solicitor who knows what actually is right and legal to fight my/ dads corner.

Any idea where to start looking !

SorryCantBeArsed Fri 20-Nov-15 17:38:43

Can't help directly but a good company of solicitors will have a department that deals with such things. I'm having to go down the court protection route for my dad and the solicitor I'm dealing with specialises in the elderly. Hope you get sorted soon, these things are stressful enough without being given duff information. flowers

Helenluvsrob Fri 20-Nov-15 19:05:46

Thanks. After a call to the law society free helpline and several calls to solicitors firms-one of whom I couldn't believe what an utter dickhead he was- thry were supposed to be specialists. ( yes I know he was only admin but explained it all and he said " who do you want to sue" argh!)

Anyway left all the details with someone who sounded like thry could know and thry are getting back to me Monday.

SorryCantBeArsed Fri 20-Nov-15 19:30:22

Well at least it's a start. Good luck, I hope you can get it sorted soon

whataboutbob Sun 22-Nov-15 11:26:59

Hi helen- I know we are maybe not supposed to recommend firms, and i have no personal interest in this one, but CareToBe Different has a v good website giving advice about care fees, CHC etc. I otained a lot of useful info when I was applying for CHC, free from the site and Angela who is a mumsnetter also kindly gave me advice via email. You can also pay for more in depth 1:1 advice I think . have a look at their website it is very informative and well researched.
I guess you have gone down the Solicitors for the Elderly via the Law Society route (and that's where you found the dickhead?)i also paid to see one who was good but maybe not the most aggressive lawyer ever, she basically told me what my options were for financing care, not sure how she'd do in challenging a care home, but she was v nice and reasonable fees if you want her details pm me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now