Talk

Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Hearing Aids + Telephone

(5 Posts)
siami Mon 20-Jul-15 12:13:09

Hi,

Is it just my mum who hates using the phone with her new hearing aid?

Finally persuaded her to get a hearing aid. She only wears it around the house at the moment and it has helped with TV and hearing the door bell etc. but telephone is still a huge problem.

I can't see her everyday and rely on the telephone to make sure she's OK, but she now just takes the aid out completely to talk on the phone!

Is this a common problem or just my mum not getting the hang of it?

Has anyone tried amplified phones? Are they worth the money?

Do we need to go private and get a better hearing aid?

Any similar experiences? Advice? Tips?

Thanks

TheSilveryPussycat Sat 25-Jul-15 00:38:27

Hi there, funnily enough have just spoken to my DF on the phone this evening, he has a new hearing aid and was having problems hearing me. So I've done a bit of googling, and then a MN search led me here.

AIUI most hearing aids have a loop mode, that can be switched to by moving a switch to 'T'. This then switches off the usual mode, so the wearer only hears stuff transmitted on an operational loop. These are in public places like at bank counters, but, also AIUI, are in many models of phone.

I tried to ask DF if his aid had this facility, he had no idea what I was talking about.

He also quite often cannot hear his phone when it rings, both my DF (separated but on good terms) and I have tried to get him to get a phone that suits his needs. Ditto the doorbell.

He ended our phone conversation after a bit, as he just couldn't hear me properly. I live a long way away, he lives on his own, but DF and DB and his family are nearby. I think I'm going to have to write a letter to DF about this!

TheSilveryPussycat Sat 25-Jul-15 00:39:40

both my *DM oops

TheSilveryPussycat Sat 25-Jul-15 00:40:51

but DM and DB blush

wizzywig Mon 03-Aug-15 21:21:06

use the speakerphone. works a treat

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now