Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a lookVisit the Dementia Talk topic

live in au pair / companion

(4 Posts)
noarguments Wed 17-Jun-15 20:16:15

Have just discovered this topic - hooray!
Cut a long story short, my Dad who's been on his own for two years now is starting to get more frail, needs to stop driving, is getting muddled about medication etc. Out of many possible options (moving, getting an agency in etc etc) one that we're considering is finding a live-in person who can just keep an eye on him, maybe do a bit of cooking and housekeeping - wouldn't need to be a full time carer by any means. He lives in a big old house, doesn't want to move out of it etc etc. I know there are services where older people are matched with younger people who want cheap accommodation in return for a few hours a day "on duty", but not sure there's anything round us (East Mids).
I'm not quite sure where to start with this - anyone got any experience?
Thanks flowers

twentyten Sat 27-Jun-15 15:03:17

Saw your thread- have you tried the county council? They can give you agency details. The lady mag?

whataboutbob Sat 27-Jun-15 16:37:22

This has been mooted a few times by previous posters, but I am not aware of anyone who has actually done it.
There is a scheme called Care and Share (I think) they vet young people and match them up with an older person as you mentioned above.
Apart from that, it just doesn't seem to be something that agencies such as SS seem to be able to help with.

PurpleWithRed Tue 14-Jul-15 19:38:05

Try one of the au pair websites - there are often au pairs with experience and a preference for elder care.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: