Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a lookVisit the Dementia Talk topic

what benefits is MIL entitled to now she's living in a care home?

(12 Posts)
CocktailQueen Wed 10-Jun-15 15:19:45

Is she entitled to attendance allowance? Is there any other benefit that will help with the costs of the care home? She has dementia. Thank you.

landoflostcontent Wed 10-Jun-15 15:33:31

My mother has attendance allowance (at the higher rate) now she is in a care home with dementia. It comes to about £329 every four weeks so doesn't cover costs by a million miles but "every little helps" And the care home helped fill in the 32 pages of forms in the application!

CocktailQueen Wed 10-Jun-15 17:41:46

Thank you! V helpful.

mamadoc Wed 10-Jun-15 21:13:29

Yes, she is entitled to attendance allowance definitely.
If she is in nursing care (not just residential) there is an NHS contribution paid towards that cost.
Both of those are usually just automatically deducted from the fees in my area ie the LA pays the care home direct but I understand this does vary in different areas.

Presumably she has been financially assessed by social services and had savings above threshold as if not then the local authority would be paying (or at least paying up to their benchmark rate).
Keep an eye on her money and if it starts to approach benchmark ask for a reassessment in good time.

You can always ask for an assessment for NHS continuing care if it's not been done although very few people get it. Bear in mind that you can request a reassessment at any point if her needs change but it is admittedly a high bar and she would need to be in nursing rather than residential care at least and have additional needs on top of that.

CocktailQueen Thu 11-Jun-15 08:07:10

She is self-funding. She doesn't meet the criteria for CHC. Have looked into that. She has dementia but not sure if she's on a nursing ward or residential - nursing, I think. Will check.

Thanks - will apply for AA asap!

whitershadeofpale Thu 11-Jun-15 10:45:05

My mum is in a residential nursing home her rent gets paid by local council but there is nothing over for her day to day needs e.g. Hair cuts clothes shoes soaps deodorant ect can I get any help with these cost
Thank you

OkyDoke Thu 11-Jun-15 10:48:42

whiter - there should be an amount per week she can use a certain amount of money per week/month for bits such as these. Try your social worker of financial assessment office for advice.

mamadoc Thu 11-Jun-15 20:41:51

Yes, that's right they legally do need to leave her a certain small amount (not sure precise figure) for those things. It is illegal for her not to get it. Ask the home or her social worker.

whitershadeofpale Fri 12-Jun-15 11:56:32

Great thank you. It feels like since we've found a home for her, social services just want to wash their hands of it. I think I need to make more of a nuisance of myself.

CocktailQueen Mon 15-Jun-15 21:57:10

Whiter - doesn't she get any benefits or pension? Or as the state is paying for her care, does that mean benefits are stopped?

ashtrayheart Mon 15-Jun-15 22:00:26

Personal allowance is £24.90 per week for those paying a client contribution. Self funders can claim AA. Benefits continue as normal (pension credit) although there may be adjustments if AA stops due to local authority funding. Always let the DWP know when someone moves into a home so they can update their records and adjust benefits if need be.

CocktailQueen Mon 15-Jun-15 23:14:20

Thanks, Ashtray!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: