Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Finally got a care assessment

(10 Posts)
Sunny67 Thu 12-Feb-15 12:20:03

Three weeks after being told my parents would get an assessment I'd not heard anything. I phoned SS to tell than that dad, has Alzheimer's, had cut some electric wires and that he'd been trying to dismantle the gas fire! Thankfully the storage heater had been disconnected so the wires werent live. Had British Gas out to check the fire. I explained I wasn't only concerned for my parents but for the next door neighbours too as they live in a semi and if dad was now messing with gas he could blow the house up! I was told they hadn't as yet been allocated a social worker but that my concerns would be passed on. Later that day I got a call from SS but not to do with this but I'd been trying to sort electronic pill dispensers via memory services,though their pharmacy wouldn't fill them and nor would any other local ones. I ended up in tears on the phone to memory services when called me about it. The lovely lady I spoke to gave SS a rocket and the following day a social worker went and did an assessment. Now they have cares going twice a day to give them their meds, a care phone and lots of detectors fitted for gas, heat, cold, carbon monoxide
They aren't overly keen on people going all the time but they do like the ladies themselves IYSWIM
I feel so much happier that they have got the help they need and that they've accepted it from the social worker as they'd have none of it when I suggested carerers going to do the meds. DSM was adment she could manage her and dads pills but she couldn't follow the daily dosset boxes at all. We are waiting for a memory clinic appointment for DSM as her memory is very poor now and even the social worker said its unusual to have two with these problems, generally one parent has the capacity to look out for the other. I've got a attendance allowance form for dad but due to his memory and being dyslexic he won't be able to fill it in. Can I complete it on his behalf even though I don't have POA?

Jackieharris Thu 12-Feb-15 12:28:11

You can complete it then he can sign it.

Does he have capacity? Have they had capacity assessments?

You should get the poa sorted asap.

Might be worth doing an a form for dsm too.

Sunny67 Thu 12-Feb-15 13:09:38

Thanks. We have talked about POA
i made an appointment at the solicitors but I cancelled it as I'm not convinced that they would sign it or that dad would have the capacity, DSM says its a good idea but won't do anything to sort it and I really don't want to end up with a solicitors bill of over £1000 for her to change her mind about signing it. I've explained all the ins and outs but I'm not going to keep trying to push them into it

Jackieharris Thu 12-Feb-15 13:21:04

It should be more like £150 not £1000 that's a total rip off!!

florentina1 Thu 12-Feb-15 13:43:07

You can fill out the attendance allowance form yourself. It really helps if you can get the repeat prescription form, because one of the questions concerns medication.

Have you tried completing the POA on line. It is simpler, quicker and cheaper than a solicitor.

So sorry you are going through this.

Sunny67 Thu 12-Feb-15 19:25:02

Thanks for your replies. I haven't tried to do the forms online, only had a quick look. I think it said it was £110 per type of POA so that would be £220 for each parent. I know solicitors don't come cheap but I don't know how much work they have to do to complete a POA
I will have a look at the forms and see what id need to do. That being said is still have to convince sad and DSM they need it doing.

florentina1 Thu 12-Feb-15 19:39:34

My brother was in a similar situation with his MiL. He completed the forms and printed them off and kept them with him until he and my SiL judged the time was right. If your parents are on a low income you can get a reduction on the £110.

We printed ours and completed them by hand, it is very simple. You can also apply by phone for the forms and information pack. You possibly may have to complete 4 forms. Financial and Welfare for both parents.

Needmoresleep Fri 13-Feb-15 08:15:14

Unless their affairs are complicated do it yourself. As I recall you will need about three relatives to confirm agreement and someone who knows your parents to witness. We got the priest, who was very supportive and helped explain to my mum why it was important the document was signed. The Office of Public Guardian is helpful. The forum Talking Point run by the Alzheimers Assn has a legal section.

Wise to get someone with experience to review the Attendance Allowance form before you send it off. You need to make your parents sound quite incompetent. Difficult as you feel you are undermining them or talking behind their backs. There is also a knack. Its a bit tick box, like a GCSE exam. You need to know what to put down.

Congratulations on your progress so far. Its difficult isn't it.

norespite Fri 13-Feb-15 11:40:12

This is really frightening and dangerous behaviour, isn't it shock and extraordinary that your concerns weren't acknowledged immediately!

An uncle, a retired engineer who suffered with early onset Alzheimers and PD started to fiddle with/fix non-existent faults with his gas and electrical appliances. After causing a minor gas leak on one occasion, fixing the gas cooker[fortunately noticed by a visiting carer] his gas supply was pretty promptly disconnected because of the risk of explosion himself and neighbours. It proved difficult to stop him doing these things despite increasing supervision such that not so long after, he accidently set his microwave on fire putting himself and the neighbours lives and property at risk again so, this was then disconnected and removed, too.

Perhaps, as these 2 things happened fairly close together and the neighbours became aware of the extent of his difficulties or because this happened some years ago when resources were less stretched - there was a swift risk assessment and move to residential care before he hurt himself or someone else.

bullseyebraces Tue 17-Feb-15 19:51:08

I filled in the Attendance Allowance forms for my FIL and just got him to sign it.

Do sort POA now, it will save a headache later.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: