Talk

Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look Visit the Dementia Talk topic

What to do about toilet issues?

(3 Posts)
PetiteOrange Fri 06-Feb-15 11:53:48

My dad has Lewy body dementia caused by Parkinson's disease. Recently he's unable to wipe his bottom after emptying his bowels.
I'm finding it difficult cleaning him with 2 children under 3 at home when he's with me during the day.

Is this the kind of stuff carers do? He has unpredictable bowel movements throughout the day and there's a lot of it to wipe and clean, so how would it work for carers to come and clean him at home?

whataboutbob Fri 06-Feb-15 15:45:43

Bonjour Petite I am starting to have to face up to this too with my dad who has Alzheimers. He has carers and I visit him every fortnight. Since around this autumn continence is hit and miss and he can't wipe himself effectively. The only approach the carers are using at the moment is to bathe him every day, which I also do when i am there. I appreciate that might not be very easy though if your Dad has Parkinsons.

Theas18 Sat 07-Feb-15 08:41:04

Is he living with you?

I bet, if you think it'd be tolerated you coukd get one of those Japanese loos that wash you with water things, dad could pay for this . Carers would deal but only at specified times and he'd be dirty the rest of it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: