Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

clearing the house on going in to care. Or not?

(4 Posts)
amigababy Thu 29-Jan-15 17:05:32

We are appointing a solicitor to manage dm's affairs as she is going into care and hasn't the capacity to manage her own things anymore.

The solicitor has very quickly asked if I am able to clear the house, and said that I can dispose of things eg "stuff" and furniture, retaining a few personal items for dm.
That didn't sound right to me (almost sounds like theft), so I checked with Age UK and they said i definitely don't have the right to get rid of things - only maybe to tidy up, or put things into storage (which would have a cost)

As dm was a hoarder, there is a lot of stuff to at least bag up, would I be best just leaving it all in one room of the house until the deputyship comes through and the solicitor can deal with it. My being next of kin doesn't really give me any rights to become chief de-clutterer does it.

tenderbuttons Thu 29-Jan-15 18:53:52

What's the plan for what happens to the house when she goes into care?

amigababy Thu 29-Jan-15 19:11:02

its going to be sold to pay care fees, but it takes maybe 6 months to process a deputyship before she can even put the house up for sale.

UptownFlunk Sat 31-Jan-15 01:53:40

You shouldn't dispose of anything until the Deputyship comes through. We weren't even allowed into the house until I was granted Deputyship. Frankly I would get another solicitor because that was shocking advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now