Talk

Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look Visit the Dementia Talk topic

choosing a care solution for elderly parent in Scotland

(3 Posts)
50yearsandcounting Tue 27-Jan-15 14:02:59

I would be grateful for any help in finding more information on choosing a housing solution for my elderly father, who lives alone in Scotland. I live abroad and am increasingly aware my Dad can't cope in his own home, particularly the stairs. He is relatively fit, but eyesight failing; and I worry he is not caring for himself (personal hygiene etc).

I think he still would like independence, in a flat with just one level, and want to explore what alternatives he may have, particularly options with a warden on site, or with a call button link to care services. He is a homeowner, and downsizing with another purchase may be the answer.

Does anybody know if there is a database online of care homes/warden and sheltered housing solutions, for the Scottish Borders. He'd like to stay in the small town where he currently lives, as he has a good social circle, but I can't find much info online.

I have tried the local council, but they were unable to provide much info except for council run elderly care which is not what he wants/needs.

Any advice gratefully received. I am due back in the UK for a visit, and keen to explore options further.

SophieBarringtonWard Tue 27-Jan-15 14:05:54

Watching with interest as have elderly parents in law. Have found Dumfries & Galloway social services to be very useful, have you tried his council social services?

50yearsandcounting Tue 27-Jan-15 16:02:14

Thank you Sophie. Yes, I did try the local social services; but their focus was not on privately funded solutions.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: