Talk

Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Did I do the right thing?

(12 Posts)
addictedtolatte Sat 22-Feb-14 23:09:06

Just hoping for some positive hope really :-( my dad is 73 with copd and aspergers. He has suffered a prolapsed bowel for years but it got that bad he was admitted to hospital for blood transfusions 5 weeks ago he's been in ever since. He was offered an operation to improve his quality of life I encouraged him to have it. He trust my judgement immensely and kind of relies on me for guidance. He has had the operation and has ended up with a pneumonia and he is not the same person. He thinks nurses are out to kill him and have been killing all week before his eyes. He is refusing food and meds from nurses but will accept from me. I have raised my concerns to nurses about his mental health but they are a bit dismissive.

Just feel so lost and guilty for encouraging him to have this operation. I honestly thought it would be for the best. I want my old dad back :-(

Funnyfoot Sun 23-Feb-14 11:15:27

I am so sorry this has happened to you and your father.
I would ask to speak to a doctor regarding the deterioration in his mental health. The nurses do not know your father and may assume his behaviour is normal as they deal with all sorts of people on the wards.

The fact that this has happened is not your fault. You encouraged your father to do what was best and you could in no way of foreseen this outcome.

As I said go above the nurses with your concerns and speak directly with a doctor.
Take care.

crispycronut Sun 23-Feb-14 11:22:19

Has he been tested for a UTI?

I only ask because my Nans behaviour and mental health became incredibly erratic with an infection and a course of anti Bs sorted it out.

I'm sure they've already ruled it out but it might be worth double checking.

magimedi Sun 23-Feb-14 11:36:36

My immediate thought was also UTI - do check on that.

I would also make sure to be there when his doctor is & ask to speak to the doctor.

Hope he gets better soon & that you can sort things out.

MrsCosmopilite Sun 23-Feb-14 11:42:05

Second testing for UTI. I've an elderly relative who seems to get these from time to time. When he does he gets paranoid. First time, we thought it was onset of dementia, but antibiotics sorted it out.

Also worth speaking to a ward sister/duty nurse (or at least someone in some position of authority) to see what side effects of current medication for Pneumonia may be. Could be that they need to change what they've prescribed.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and your Dad a speedy recovery.

KirstyJC Sun 23-Feb-14 11:44:38

It is possible he has a delirium - this isn't unusual with people of that age after an operation. If this is the case, it is temporary and could last for up to about 6 weeks after the op. After that time, if he stays the same, it could be more permanent. Some people just don't respond well to anaesthetic.

It might also be that there were some underlying problems, masked by the day to day routine, which have been highlighted now he is in a different environment. However, any screening for eg dementia or other cognitive problems would ideally need to wait until other causes have been discounted, so after the 6 weeks or so and when all inflammatory markers (ie signs of infection) have come back negative. Has he had delusions before? Is he having hallucinations as well?

It could also very well be a UTI, although I would think the hospital would be checking for this regularly anyway.

Ask the hospital what they think. This situation isn't uncommon and they will have a plan, even if that plan is just to wait and see what happens.

Hope he gets better soon - and even if he doesn't please don't beat yourself up. You did what you thought was best, which is all anyone can ask for.

pudcat Sun 23-Feb-14 12:31:43

Totally agree that it could be the anaesthetic, A UTI, or some other infection. The hospitals do sometimes have to reminded to do these urine tests as they just see an elderly person and think that this is how they are normally.
You are doing the best for your Dad.

addictedtolatte Mon 24-Feb-14 19:58:56

Thank you everyone for your advice I asked for the uti test which was done. Nothing so far but they have to wait 3 days for all the cultures to surface.

They have taken him off the pain reliever tranidol as they suspect this May be the culprit also the length of time he was under anesthetic. The sad thing is the operation went better than expected. Hopefully he will make a full recovery.

KirstyJC Mon 24-Feb-14 20:58:13

Fingers crossed. Glad the op went well. I have heard of people having bad reactions to pain relief so that may well be it. If not, then it will help eliminate what could be causing it, so that they can work out what actually is.

KirstyJC Thu 27-Feb-14 18:57:57

Hi OP. Any change yet? Hope you are all bearing up well.smile

addictedtolatte Thu 27-Feb-14 20:05:36

Thanks Kirsty he had double pneumonia and a reaction to tranidol. He is on the mend now. He coming back to live with me so I can keep an eye on him. It was very distressing to see him like that but he has no memory of it which is a blessing :-)

KirstyJC Thu 27-Feb-14 21:10:33

Oh that is excellent news, I'm so pleased. ((hug))

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now