Talk

Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

TV / DVD for elderly relative

(5 Posts)
stripes1 Tue 04-Feb-14 22:53:44

Thought I'd ask here in case anyone has done the research before. I am helping to find a TV and DVD for an elderly relative who is losing her sight. It must be really basic and easy to operate. The TV will need to have a large screen. Has anyone done this before and found a good one they can recommend? Thanks.

landoflostcontent Wed 05-Feb-14 08:53:59

Can't advise on the TV but we bought a Doro Easy Handle remote control and got someone in to remove all the digital stations apart from the main 4 (which are the only ones mother really watches) and it has made such a difference. She was always pressing the wrong buttons on the fiddly tv remote and having to call a neighbour in to reset it. Now she has an on button, an off button (large easy to see) and right and left arrow to scroll between programmes and vertical arrows to turn sound up or down (always up in mother's case smile )

Needmoresleep Wed 05-Feb-14 13:57:14

Have you looked at the RNIB shop. Disappointingly they don't have TVs as such, but have other products to enhance TV watching. They may be able to suggest something. They were very helpful when I tried, a few years back, to buy a simple mobile phone for my mum.

stripes1 Sat 08-Feb-14 15:50:31

Thanks both, I've put the question on the RNIB discussion board so hopefully they may have some ideas. Will have a look at that remote control.

MrsAMerrick Thu 13-Feb-14 22:18:05

When thinking about the tv, you need to consider what sight condition your relative has. Although buying a really big screen would seem obvious, with some people it is actually easier to see a smaller screen, especially if there is a defined rim or border to the screen so it doesn't blend into the background iykwim.

If possible, take your relative to a large Currys or similar and look at lots of tvs to find which one is best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now