Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Advice about my Grandad please

(5 Posts)
fluffydressinggown Tue 15-Oct-13 11:22:34

I hope it is ok to post here about my Grandad.

He is 91 and lives alone in a council house which has a stair lift. He has lived in the same house since the 50s, he has never had central heating fitted so it does get very cold and it is quite cluttered. He broke his hip 5 years ago and although he recovered he is not as he was before, he is more unsteady on his feet and can't walk as far as he used to.

Two weeks ago he tripped on an electric fire in his bedroom and broke the bone in the top of his arm. He is in hospital at the moment, he has an operation on his arm. The Drs have said he is medically fit but occupational therapy / physio and social services need to assess him for his needs. It is his right arm which is broken and so he finds it hard to balance because he usually uses his stick with his right hand. At the moment he needs help washing, dressing and going to the toilet.

My Mum thinks he won't be able to go back to his house so what is the next step? Can social services request he is re homed to a bungalow or a warden controlled flat? Or does my Grandad have to apply for that himself? He can't afford to do it privately so it will have to be a council or housing association property. He would also benefit from a carer coming once or twice a day, does this have to be self funded or is there support from social services that don't have to be paid for?

Any advice would be welcome smile

pudcat Tue 15-Oct-13 20:54:49

Social services and the hospital will advise your grandad and your Mum as to what they can do for him. In my town we have a rehab ward in the small local hospital which aims to help people like your grandad. Respite care in a home may be another option. A warden controlled flat or bungalow with a life pendant is another. SS will assess your grandad's finances and help with the decisions.
This web page helps you to see what help is out and how to claim attendance allowance etc. HTH and hope your grandad gets better soon.

Madratlady Tue 15-Oct-13 21:50:18

pudcat summed it up quite well. It sounds like rehab might be good for him if he was fairly independent beforehand. And SS will be able to advise on what they can provide. Is he housed by the council now?

fluffydressinggown Wed 16-Oct-13 10:43:47

Thank you for the replies. I will have a look at the link about money.

I think the worry is that he might not ever be as independent as he was before he broke his arm. When he broke his hip he had 6 weeks of carers which helped but now we are wondering if he needs carers permanently. He is on a rehab ward at the moment which feels like the right place for him. Hopefully SS will assess him for extra support.

He is already housed by the council, which is why if he moved it would need to be another council owned property.

pudcat Wed 16-Oct-13 20:28:41

My Mum is funded and I found that everyone was really helpful in a) helping when Mum lived on her own in a council flat with warden controll, b) when she came to live with me and c) in hospital, care home and nursing home. SS sorted out all the finance, gave me a list of home to look at. If he is on a rehab ward they will know and advise what is best for him.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: