Talk

Advanced search

DS starting Reception in September

(96 Posts)
PrettyCandles Tue 02-Aug-05 15:20:02

What do I need to prepare for him?

The school list only uniform. What else ought I to have ready?

Also, I'm not the world's greatest fan of synthetics, is there anywhere I can get grey school trousers that aren't made of 100% polyester?

Gobbledigook Tue 02-Aug-05 15:28:03

Prettycandles - I know what you mean. Just bought ds1's school jumpers and they feel nasty!! 100% acrylic - yuk!

charliecat Tue 02-Aug-05 15:33:06

He needs to be able to wipe his bum himself and get on and off his clothes if possible..

Gobbledigook Tue 02-Aug-05 15:38:59

How many pairs of trousers do you think they need? 2 or 3?

I've bought 2 jumpers, 2 ties and am getting 4 shirts (just cos they come in packs of 2).

jellyhead Tue 02-Aug-05 16:04:50

Wipe his bum is good advice

also would like to add from learning the hard way that he can eat with a knife and fork or if having pack lunches can open all the packets etc.
The ability to line up and dress/undress quickly will make life easier as well.
I never have found school uniforms made of pleasant material.

Kayleigh Tue 02-Aug-05 16:08:28

You can get away with two pairs of trousers in reception. I found that the odd paint stain could be rubbed out with a wet wipe in the evening. However ds2 has just finished year two and he definitely needed 3 pairs in year 2 as he was playing football more and getting VERY muddy.

Definitely try and get them to wipe their own bottom.

Re packed lunches - I always "started" to open things so that when ds1 pulled open a packet it would give way easily. Anything else was wrapped in foil - easy to undo.

charliecat Tue 02-Aug-05 16:50:30

I have got my mum to sew little ducks in all of dd2s uniform, she cant see things right in from of her face so i thought it might help when theres 30 jumpers in the jumper box.(Ducks on collars)

lydz Tue 02-Aug-05 16:57:03

Make sure he can manage his shoes on his own, getting them on the right feet as well as doing them up. Velcro is a wonderful thing, none of mine could do laces till they were in the juniors!

Gobbledigook Tue 02-Aug-05 16:58:31

Btw, for anyone who is interested, I got ds1 a navy parka for school in the Next sale - it was £15 down from £30-odd. Only got it last night so might still have some. Had quite a lot of sizes.

iota Tue 02-Aug-05 17:03:41

agree with the others

-bottom wiping

-lunchbox skills if packed lunch, including opening the box (zips are good)opening yoghurts without spraying themselves, opening packets of sanwiches, crips or other treats.

-Opening cartons of drink - can they pierce juice with the straw?

-doing up soes - velcro

- doing up coat (coas with velcro as well as zips are useful)

- putting on gloves if used

iota Tue 02-Aug-05 17:04:28

sorry about the excessive typos hope it was intelligible

legacy Tue 02-Aug-05 17:27:56

Some of the M&S trousers are a poly/wool mix and are IMHO much nicer...
We did a 'controlled' test last year and bought some of both the wool ones and the 100& poly ones and the wool ones looked much better at the end of the year.....

mumbee Tue 02-Aug-05 18:17:44

pretty candles
My youngest starts reception in september as well so doing the whole ritual.
Other suggestions easy to do up coats, put on gloves - mittens not fingers less frustrating,
polo shirts with zips rather than buttons Dd (Yr2) could not manage them at first. (If you can)

The other good thing to do is to point out his school to him everytime you go past it gets him excited about going makes it a tiny bit easier for your self and do not forget the hankies. Dh was with me when Dd started (yr2 this time) I went shopping that morning and sat in a resturant missing her very much. So do not forget about yourself do something different for yourself that celebrates this new phase of his life.

Trousers try M&S might have some.

frogs Tue 02-Aug-05 18:23:06

You can get grey cotton cord school trousers in John Lewis, or from The Children's Warehouse .

tiffini Tue 02-Aug-05 18:29:22

I keep having a nightmare, that I wake up late on DS first day at school only to realise that we never got round to buying his uniform [horror emicon]

jellyhead Tue 02-Aug-05 18:33:42

Shoes was another problem for my ds1 as well so I used to put a mark in his left shoe so he would put his left foot in it.
Stickers or something they will recognise on their book bag, pe kit etc if all the children have the same bags.
I didn't prepare my ds1 very well as I thought school would be like nursery but the children were expected to be very independant from day 1. My dd starts in Jan and I am dreading it already

frogs Tue 02-Aug-05 18:37:58

Oh yes, and I once thought I was being very clever buying school shoes in July to avoid the late-August rush. But for some reason children grow like weeds during the summer, and by September the new shoes didn't fit any more. Won't be doing that again.

mumbee Tue 02-Aug-05 18:50:22

reminded me I am looking for pull up trousers as Ds can not yet manage to do them up even though he pulls them up some come undone easily and any suggestions

RTKangaMummy Tue 02-Aug-05 18:51:38

When sewing labels into socks do it downwards IYSWIM

Teach DD and DS to recognise their names or at least first letter

Gobbledigook Tue 02-Aug-05 21:19:13

Oh God. I'm scared now.

Ds doesn't use a knife, still a fork and spoon.

He always makes me check his bum is clean (I do keep telling him Miss Avery won't do this )

I'm not sure he'll be able to zip up his coat.

I know he can manage his shoes and clothes though so that's a bonus.

Merlin Tue 02-Aug-05 21:22:52

GDG - my DS can't wipe his bum either - but has informed me wont be using the toilet at school!

Gobbledigook Tue 02-Aug-05 21:23:13

PSML Merlin!!!

Merlin Tue 02-Aug-05 21:24:01

think I better stock up on prunes for the constipation!

charliecat Tue 02-Aug-05 21:25:25

Get practising for the wiping bum bit or they are going to hobble from the loos into the classroom bending over saying wipe me wipe me....
...or even worse running round stinking!

Gobbledigook Tue 02-Aug-05 21:25:33

Ha ha ha!!

Oh dear, I'm going to be in bits on day one. My poor baby!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now