Talk

Advanced search

absence for holidays in term - in nursery year

(7 Posts)
philippat Sun 31-Jul-05 16:46:37

dd starts school nursery in Sept - here there in a single intake in Sept for everyone who turns 4 during the year and they have a full year of half days before entering reception the following Sept.

Now, this is obviously still not compulsary schooling but it clearly has a more formal 'school' structure than her current day nursery. Rules appear to be the same as the rest of the school.

We're thinking of taking a mid-week break next May, which would involve taking dd out of the school nursery for 3 or 4 days. Is this OK? Should I go ahead and book or wait to talk to teachers in Sept?

Tinker Sun 31-Jul-05 16:49:26

Go ahead and book. "School" is only compulsory once child is 5.

TigerLilly2005 Sun 31-Jul-05 16:49:53

I would go ahead and book i am sure you are allowed to, My son is starting a nursery in sept (he will be 3 in sept) and we are taking a holiday to majorca for 1 week in late sept early october, I will be taking him out of nursery for that 1 week.

KBear Sun 31-Jul-05 16:52:08

And this might be your last chance - schools are really clampig down on holidays in term time. My DD came home with a note last week saying all holidays in term time will now be "unauthorised" whereas before they used to authorise up to ten days a year.

We used to go in May but now it will have to be summer holidays - boo! BUT they miss so much when they are away so I am for it really.

cerys Sun 31-Jul-05 16:54:17

same situation in my dds' school, philippat - we took DD1 out of nursery for two separate weeks last year, but some children were only there about 50% of the time. The teacher told me that the official line was once they are in school, you follow the rules, even though legally they don't have to go til they are 5. HOWEVER, unofficially they didn't mind at all as they are only learning through play, not sitting exams!

I would book it too.

fairydust Sun 31-Jul-05 16:55:54

At dd's nursery that is attached to the school -we are allowed to take 10 days holidays and are asked to fill a holiday form in

philippat Mon 01-Aug-05 19:53:24

thank you everyone, I feel better about my plans now

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: