Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you let your child go??

(12 Posts)
mrsdil Thu 21-Jul-05 14:25:30

Hi all,

My ds will be starting reception class in september (full time from 15th).

My problem is that ds wants a party for his birthday on 2nd October and wants to invite the kids from school although he wont know them very well.

If your child was invited to a party after 2 weeks of knowing a child would you let them go? Or is it really too soon?

Thanks
Michelle

moondog Thu 21-Jul-05 14:28:24

I would (but would probably stay.)
Great way for you all to make new friends.

elliott Thu 21-Jul-05 14:29:48

yes of course. No-one will know anyone very well so its a good way of getting to know them better. Might want to hang around a bit (not sure what the protocol is at that age, my oldest is only 3.5).

ScummyMummy Thu 21-Jul-05 14:30:55

Not too soon, I think. Lovely way for the kids to get to know each other. I'd be delighted to accept.

Kayleigh Thu 21-Jul-05 14:32:02

Absolutely. It's a lovely way for them to mix informally (not that reception is terribly formal !) Also gives the mums a chance to get to know each other.

I would have had to stay with ds1 at that age as he wouldn't let me leave him at a party. Ds2 starts reception in september and would be more than happy to stay on his own.

Cybermum Thu 21-Jul-05 14:34:05

DD1 has a birthday on 6th October and she invited friends from school to her party when she was in reception - the teacher gave us a list so we could make sure we invited all the children she wanted to come. I think we invited all the girls and the boys she had known before she started school. We already knew some children from nursery, less than half I suppose. Anyhow almost everybody came most parents stayed - it was a good party and everybody enjoyed themselves.

Hope it works out well for your ds

Starmummy Fri 22-Jul-05 12:22:55

DS has his birthday on Sept 5th. We have always invited everybody including those children we dont know. I have always put my phone email and address for the mums with a note expressly to say please call me so I can introduce myself. I also invite them to stay at the party and also older/yonger brothers and sisters. In fact when DS was 5 we hired the church hall invited 30 kids and then the brothers and sisters stayed and some parents, in fact we had fifty people in the end! So in answer to your question yes I would let DS go because I have to do the same.

He will be 10 this year and is starting a new school. So I have booked his swimming party for 18th Sept as school doesnt start till 7th and will invite his old friends, all the new kids and some others from other places. Its always worked for us and nobody has ever refused on the basis they didnt know me or DS.

Best of luck

batters Fri 22-Jul-05 12:37:41

My dd went to a party held by one of her classmates about a week after she started reception. It was a very nice way for the parents to get to know each other as well as for the kids.

Most of us parents stayed.

fqueenzebra Fri 22-Jul-05 22:35:59

This happened to DS1, he started school on 5 Sept & went to a party on 10 October. My kids don't get invited to enough parties to have the luxury of turning them down!

However, when we had the party at home for DS1 (3 weeks later) most of the parents stayed which was fine with me since they didn't know us at all.

mrsdil Sat 23-Jul-05 17:05:44

Thanks for the replys, i will definately invite them and see how it goes.

I am thinking of holding the party at a local playcentre so that the parents can stay comfortably without all being crammed into my house!!

Michelle x

spidermama Sat 23-Jul-05 17:07:27

IME parents love it when their kids are invited to parties. It helps with the social side of school.

SoupDragon Sat 23-Jul-05 17:11:58

Yes (and did!) but would stay. They are in each others company all day 5 days a week, They'll get to know each other very quickly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now