Talk

Advanced search

Apart from Ofsted and League tables how else do you find out about a school

(5 Posts)
Wills Thu 21-Jul-05 11:11:56

We're really hoping to move from North London to Broadstairs. Apart from looking at out of date Ofsted reports (by out of date I mean most are 2002/2003 etc) and League tables how else can I go about finding out about a school. At the moment my eldest dd (5yrs) goes to a gorgeous village school with a very strong parent community. She's happy. Although I want my child to do well at school my primary objective for my daughters is that they learn to love learning. Learning must be fun. How the heck do I find out about that?

ScummyMummy Thu 21-Jul-05 11:13:28

Talk to parents and kids at the schools you think look good?

Caligula Thu 21-Jul-05 11:13:42

Get hold of the school's prospectus, often the language used and the emphasis will give you a clue as to their ethos.

I always think other parents with kids already there are the best source, but obviously if you don't know anyone there it's more difficult.

Caligula Thu 21-Jul-05 11:14:02

And also, could you arrange a visit?

Wills Thu 21-Jul-05 11:20:50

That's the problem. We can go there at weekends but of course none of the parents will be around. Also its now the end of term. Also I have to sell two houses before i can move and given the market who knows when I'll achieve that. I don't know whether to phone the schools up or not? It could easily be another year before we actually manage to move.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now