Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Have you ever heard of a 5yo being sent home for misbehaviour?

(21 Posts)
Carla Tue 19-Jul-05 20:07:20

This happened in dd2s class today and I was

nutcracker Tue 19-Jul-05 20:14:01

Hmm no I haven't but TBH I suppose in some situations it is the only option.

In dd's class a boy yesterday smacked two girls heads together giving the one concussion. He has been in trouble over and over again and tbh I do think he should have been sent home.

helsi Tue 19-Jul-05 20:16:47

I think in some cases it would be an option - it depends on how unruly the child is.

WideWebWitch Tue 19-Jul-05 20:17:18

On the face of it this is pretty harsh, what did he do?

MaloryTowers Tue 19-Jul-05 20:17:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gigglinggoblin Tue 19-Jul-05 20:23:46

yes, my ds has been sent home i dont think it is fair on the other children in the class that all the teachers time is taken up by one child. what are they supposed to do with them?

it has happened to a couple of other boys in his class aswell, and their mothers were slagging off the teacher, saying she expected too much - personally i dont think it is expecting too much for a 5 yr old to not be violent or disruptive. i find it shocking that some parents expect school to deal with all behaviour issues and not be prepared to get involved themselves

Carla Tue 19-Jul-05 20:26:26

www, it's a girl. She bit a boy in her class in the playground, he went to tell the teacher on duty, teacher went to apprehend her. She tried to run away, teacher grabbed her, kicked her in the face, and then bit her

koo Tue 19-Jul-05 20:28:31

Message withdrawn

Cam Tue 19-Jul-05 20:28:32

Poor little girl must be very unhappy to behave like that.

Carla Tue 19-Jul-05 20:30:34

What can you do with a child that constantly disrupts the classroom? The teacher is nearly full on the whole time with this child - it's a wonder any of them learn anything at all.

fqueenzebra Tue 19-Jul-05 20:38:52

See my thread before....

It's official now that one of the children (just 4yo) is being held back; he'll repeat reception. He was excluded at age 4...

hercules Wed 20-Jul-05 08:50:02

If the child is a danger to children or staff, then yes, they should be sent home.

Jimjams Wed 20-Jul-05 09:37:51

I know a lttile boy who was excluded TWICE before he was 5. He was later dxed with AS. The school mishandled the situation repeatedly. Now age 12 (ish?) - and having had some understanding help he is at a top public school (strict!) on a scholarship.

I personally think if children are being excluded at 5 something is very very wrong with the school's handling of the child. Yes there are resources problems, but too many school's aren't interested (especially those near the top of league tables).

Nemo1977 Wed 20-Jul-05 09:42:12

yes my sister was sent home a few times in primary school and eventually asked to leave at the age of 6. She is a wild child though even now at 21

frogs Wed 20-Jul-05 09:43:12

Child in my ds's Y1 class was sent home for looping a skipping rope round another boy's neck and dragging him round the playground by it. The child had serious ligature marks round his neck and his skin was covered in grazes where he'd been dragged across the tarmac.

The school excluded the perpetrator for 48 hours. He has consistently been a difficult child, but in this instance I think he hadn't fully understood the seriousness of what he was doing. The school obviously wanted to make sure he and his parents got the point, which seems reasonable to me.

batters Wed 20-Jul-05 09:49:39

I think on this occasion it was appropriate actually.

MamaMaiasaura Wed 20-Jul-05 09:50:36

yes i have heard of it happen

LHP Wed 20-Jul-05 09:52:19

At ther risk of being flamed, I've done this with a girl in YR in first week of school, and reintroduced her mornings only. She was constantly hitting and snatching from the other kids and "throwing her weight around." No amount of name on cloudy board etc made any difference. Had come from a nursery which seemed to have no rules at all (If there was going to be a difficult child in any given year, you could bet good money it was from this nursery). Anyway, parents were oblivious to the extent of her unruliness, but once informed, consulted and involved in her reintegration they and she were great. I (with support of head and deputy)felt I had to send a clear message not only to her parents but the other parents whose chn were being affected by her behaviour ie we can keep your child safe at school.

binkie Wed 20-Jul-05 09:55:52

ds has been sent home once, when just 6, for kicking his teacher when first project of the day was a spelling test instead of the maths lesson he wanted it to be. It was the first time his behaviour to his teacher could have been described as "violent" (and it wasn't a hard kick, it was a let's see what I can get away with kick, but bad enough I think) but it was part of a long story of non-co-operation and the school wanted to show him a zero tolerance message.

I completely supported the school on this. So, in hindsight, has ds: "the time you had to come and get me, and I didn't want to have to come home" has lodged in his memory, just as we all wanted.

Twiglett Wed 20-Jul-05 09:59:02

no I think it sounds justified

sending the child home involves the parents in the issue and allows them to have discussions with staff about how best to proceed. Just informing them of what has gone on may not be enough to stress the importance of addressing this type of behaviour

Stargazer Wed 20-Jul-05 10:09:05

I do think a child being violent and constantly disruptive needs to be sent home. However, just sending the child home will not fix the problem. If there is an underlying psychological and/or parenting problem the child and family will need considerable help. And it's often a problem to get the help that's needed.

A school can get additional help from behaviour support groups in the local LEA, which may help. But it can be a long and difficult fight with LEAs, etc to get the required input.

My DS was excluded for a couple of days at 5 - he then settled down. Eventually he was diagnosed with ADHD and associated problems - while I have no problem with him being asked to leave the school because his behaviour was not acceptable, I do have HUGE problems with the lack of support and advice offered to help the family cope, get a diagnosis and indeed for my LEA to even assessment my son's requirement for a statement. Fortunately, I'm an intelligent and extremely persistant woman who won't let it rest - I kept on at my LEA to get things sorted, but it can be extremely difficult to do.

I think the Government is sending very mixed messages to families. On the one hand they are encouraging mothers to return to work as soon as possible, but as soon as there's a hint of behaviour problems, it's now proposed that the parent (read MOTHER) stays at home with the child.

I think it's time that more respect and consideration is given to the parents who do stay at home to look after the children - I realise that it's not always possible - but I do think in the long run, it might be the best way forward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now