Talk

Advanced search

Terrible school report today

(40 Posts)
QueenEagle Thu 14-Jul-05 19:19:03

ds2 brought his report home today and I am horrified at it.

Comments include:

"finds it hard to play with other children"

"can't ampathise with his peers"

"rude and confrontational with teachers"

"does not have a good understanding of, or attitude towards school rules and the potential for explosive behaviour is always in the background"

What the hell do I do now?

QueenEagle Thu 14-Jul-05 19:26:58

What I mean is - how come I didn't know before today that ds has been a real problem at school, as the report suggests?

QueenEagle Thu 14-Jul-05 19:29:41

Oh come on!! Does no-one think he should be caned???

hunkermunker Thu 14-Jul-05 19:30:17

Can you put him in the corner with a dunce's hat on?

BarefootMama Thu 14-Jul-05 19:31:54

How old is he Queen?

purpleturtle Thu 14-Jul-05 19:31:59

Blows that theory about school reports saying only nice things.

QueenEagle Thu 14-Jul-05 19:32:34

hm

Seriously though, this is really bad for ds2 as he has always had really good reports in the past.

At parents' eve a few weeks back there was no cause for concern by his teacher so this is a bit out of the blue. He is no angel at home and certainly has his moments - but surely if he is that bad I should have been made aware??

MaloryTowers Thu 14-Jul-05 19:32:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

QueenEagle Thu 14-Jul-05 19:32:55

He's 9

hunkermunker Thu 14-Jul-05 19:33:53

Surprised they've left it till the end of term to let you know these things. Speak to the teacher.

serenity Thu 14-Jul-05 19:34:51

If this is the first you've heard about it, I'd be pretty p'ed off with the school tbh. It's a bit pointless telling you just before the summer holidays, what can you do about it now? They should have consulted you earlier so you could have worked together to sort it out.

QueenEagle Thu 14-Jul-05 19:35:03

Also in PE it says, "exhibits behaviour which is diruptive and potentially dangerous to others"

Then the Head's comment says "Well done - a good final report from lower school" WTF??? Shows how much she read it!!!

hunkermunker Thu 14-Jul-05 19:35:34

Would go and see the head to talk about his "good" report...

BarefootMama Thu 14-Jul-05 19:36:23

I agree with hunker- they should have had you in before if he is as bad as they are making out so that you and him could do something about it. Cant expect you to act on what you are unaware of

serenity Thu 14-Jul-05 19:36:26

Maybe they've printed off someone else's report under your DS's name??!

QueenEagle Thu 14-Jul-05 19:36:52

At least he got 100% attendance.

QueenEagle Thu 14-Jul-05 19:39:59

serenity - ds can be just like they describe at home, so don't think so!!

He can be all those things so it doesn't surprise me. What does concern me is that the report is very strongly worded and for me not to have been aware how bad he has been is very disappointing as I could have done something about this. He starts a new school in September and this report is the basis of their first impression of him. Sets him up for a bad start IMO.

Willow2 Thu 14-Jul-05 19:54:08

There must be some mistake here - how on earth could you have a good meeting with your son's teacher and none of this be mentioned? Maybe there has been a mix up with the reports and you have got part of Horrid Henry's?

Chandra Thu 14-Jul-05 20:01:27

Excuse me please if I'm wrong, but... where you the person who posted another thread saying that the father of another pupil had a go at your DS after school?

Please excuse me if I am wrong..

QueenEagle Thu 14-Jul-05 20:16:28

Chandra - yes that was me, but the other thread was about my ds1. The school report relates to ds2

Incidentally, the Police School Liaison Officer spoke to ds1 in the presence of his Head of Year, and told him that the other boys father had been warned about his behaviour and that he (the PSLO) knew my ds had not done anything wrong.

Starmummy Fri 15-Jul-05 10:33:08

Hi QE

You have my symapathies. My DS (now 9) had a report just like that 2 years ago. You must go and see the head NOW!!!! I tried what I thought was the correct route via the teacher, she wouldnt see me for 5 days, I was nearly hysterical, then she wouldnt look me in the eye. Finally she said he and his best friend had been messing around in science and it had been a one off, hence no mention at parents evvening or being called in or similiar. My question to her was if its bad enough to be in the report then why wasnt I told. If it was a one off then it should have been dealt with and not mentioned in the report. I never got a satisfactory result and have been unhappy ever since. So DS leaves next Friday and will start a new school in September. Although he has always been happy he is still very excited about the new school

You must get to the bottom of it a soon as possible, see the teacher and head today and dont take no for an answer!

Best of luck, let us know how you get on.

QueenEagle Fri 15-Jul-05 10:51:50

Hi Starmummy, I have just phoned the school to request an appointment with the Head and his teacher.

I have so many questions going round my head at the minute. The main one being has my ds got some kind of behavioural problem that needs professional help to deal with? They are decscribing him in the report as anti-authority and anti-social. Why have I not been aware of the severity of the problem? If he is/was this badly behaved, how come he went away on a residential school trip 2 months ago? Kids who behave like this don't get to go do they??

This is giving me a headache.

MamaMaiasaura Fri 15-Jul-05 10:56:29

Hi QE - just saw this thread ((hugs))

It might help to make a list of questions you want answered including why you havent been approached made aware. Might be helpful to speak with other parents you get on with to see if there kids have said anything.

Does he have the same teacher all day? Has he problems with just one particular teacher - they may be clashing.

hth.

zippy539 Fri 15-Jul-05 10:57:31

Glad you got an appointment QueenEagle - it all sounds very odd. Make sure and write down all your questions! What does ds say about it? Is he surprised? If it is the right report then I would be livid at the school for not flagging this up earlier. Very bizarre.

PollyLogos Fri 15-Jul-05 10:57:51

Write down all the questions you want to ask and however difficult it may be try to be positiveand calm whilst discussing this with them. Good luck I hope you get some answers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now