Talk

Advanced search

CAT's for Y7 - where can I get some example papers plz?

(12 Posts)
pindy Fri 08-Jul-05 12:46:08

I am trying to get hold of example papers for Year 7 CAT's, not much luck so far, anyone have any ideas please. I am a school governor, school has none to hand!

Janh Fri 08-Jul-05 12:51:16

CATs?

pindy Fri 08-Jul-05 13:02:56

Cognitive Ability Tests - done in year 7, some say a much better way of telling the ability of children.

pindy Fri 08-Jul-05 15:46:42

bump

Milliways Fri 08-Jul-05 15:59:15

I understand they are the same as Verbal & Non verbal reasoning, as they do in 11+, can get in WHSmiths & Waterstones. A boy in DD's school who didn't get into the grammar school got 100% in his CATS!

alibubbles Fri 08-Jul-05 22:12:49

Message withdrawn

Milliways Fri 08-Jul-05 22:57:28

ALibubbles - I would be interested in buying them if Pindy doesn't want them. DS will be trying for selective entry in November, he is only 10 in August!

FIMAC1 Sat 09-Jul-05 15:59:03

Excuse highjacking slightly, but because of changes in LEA admissions procedures we will prob not put dd in for Grammar school tests, does anyone know whether it is worth her still practicing verbal reasoning papers - will it help with test in Year 7? as I am not sure what format the standard test they all do (believe results will be given to Comprehensive) tia

FIMAC1 Tue 12-Jul-05 16:15:47

BUMP

Anyone know how the testing is done for Yr 6's? Would be interested due to probably sending dd to local Comprehensive, and heard that the results are given to school

tia

janeite Tue 12-Jul-05 17:34:04

It's only the grammar schools that test for verbal and non-verbal reasoning in Yr 6. Normally Yr 6 pupils will do the SAts in English, Maths and Science and the results of these will be passed on to secondary schools. Some secondary schools may then put them through reading tests and CATs tests in order to set them in Yr 7.

FIMAC1 Tue 12-Jul-05 18:34:52

Thanks - I will find out if dd school does reading tests - (what are CAT tests?)

Thanks

janeite Thu 14-Jul-05 20:07:47

CATs are cognitive ability tests. They basically test a whole range of skills including verbal reasoning, numeracy, vocab and non-verbal reasoning (which are those weird ones where you have to guess the next pattern in a series). They come out with a numbered score which is then translated into a "Quadrant" (ie one quarter) and from this, you can tell what kind of learner they are and what kinds of activities they are most likely to enjoy/find difficult. They are a useful guideline but not soemthing really that it's worth "training" kids up for - it's not a competition it's an indicator of whether a child is more verbal, kinaesthetic etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: