Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone in Kent understands the latest ruling on grammar schools?

(11 Posts)
Celia2 Wed 06-Jul-05 23:51:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Janh Wed 06-Jul-05 23:58:58

If Kent is the same as Lancashire, grammar schools now have to be entered into your 1-2-3 choice; if you don't put the grammar school 1st you won't get a place even if you pass, and if you do put a grammar school 1st you won't get a place in a desirable non-selective school if you didn't pass the grammar exam, because you didn't put that first (iyswim).

OTOH it may be completely different down there in which case I am talking out of my a*se as usual

charliecat Thu 07-Jul-05 07:49:58

that sounds about right

Celia2 Fri 08-Jul-05 09:21:19

Freckle Fri 08-Jul-05 09:46:46

I think you and I are talking out the same part of our anatomy, Janh! I haven't seen any recent decisions altering this arrangement. Can you link to the actual decision, Celia2? I'm in Kent and have had to deal with the situation as described by Janh and it's not fun.

Celia2 Fri 08-Jul-05 10:48:58

FIMAC1 Fri 08-Jul-05 13:10:25

We have had this in place for the last year in Gloucestershire - from this Autumn the LEA here are going to only offer you the first place choice (if successful) and as the State Schools will only take first place choices - most of us are not going to take the risk and put a Grammar school down as first choice

It all seems very unfair

FIMAC1 Fri 08-Jul-05 13:12:48

iyswim! We have had to put the Grammar's down in 1-2-3 since 2005 - now the LEA will not review 2-3 place choices, if Grammar school choices as they will only offer you the first place choice - hope this makes sense

robinia Fri 08-Jul-05 13:52:32

I think it means that the schools in question (six in the "North West Kent" area are not allowed to choose pupils on the basis of them putting their school as "first preference" .

This is the Wilimington Boys Grammar adjudication The others are all similar.

This is very pertinent to us. We are currently in London Borough of Bromley and my dd and ds1 are both probably in top 25% ability band but not necessarily able enough to get into the Bromley selective schools. So if this adjudication remains in force for another couple of years it will make our decisions a lot easier.

Freckle Fri 08-Jul-05 14:17:44

Not sure that this changes a great deal. It probably only applies to lea-controlled schools. There are many schools out there which are grant-maintained, voluntary-aided, etc., which don't fall within the remit of the lea for this purpose. There are a number of schools in this area which operate first preference selection, which effectively excludes any child who takes the 11+.

To make things totally fair and remove the unnecessary stress on parents, they should change the timing of the 11+, so that results are known before parents have to select their choices.

grumpyfrumpy Fri 08-Jul-05 14:44:03

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now