Talk

Advanced search

Hampshire/Surrey Prep School Help

(9 Posts)
gingee Mon 04-Jan-10 00:55:37

Hi, moving to Liphook/Hindhead area (Hampshire/Surrey) and looking at prep schools for a 6 year old girl and 10 year old boy (they would be starting the new school in yr3 and yr6).
My son is very sporty, and daughter into music and singing and dancing and that sort of thing. Both already attend single-sex prep schools in the Bristol area. They generally do well academically.
Wouldn't mind them going to co-ed schools or single-sex schools.

We have found St Edmunds, Amesbury School, Churcher's College Junior School and The Royal School all very close by but would consider schools out towards Guildford or Godalming, have researched Guildford High School for Girls, Aldro School, Lanesborough School and Haslemere Prep.

I personally like true "Prep" schools, where the kids finish at 11 or 13 and move onto different secondary schools of their choice, not comprehensive education ones where they stay until 18 as it can be difficult to get out of them if desired, and sometimes senior schools aren't as good as the junior dept. (This is just in my personal experience).

There seems to be a HUGE choice in this area and to be honest we are a bit swamped. Kids would be starting in Sept with the new school year. If anyone knows anything about these schools or any other schools in the area it would be fantastic to hear your opinion. If anyone knows anything about how difficult/easy it is to get a place at any of them, that would be fab too.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

goinggetstough Mon 04-Jan-10 09:07:24

Hi
Have you looked at Highfield prep in Liphook? It prepares for CE and is a sporty school. You mention Aldro: it is very sporty especially rugby and has a high emphasis on academics. Hope this helpful?
Good luck.

aroomofonesown Tue 19-Jan-10 22:49:22

Hi. My children have the same interests as yours and my recommendations would be St Edmund's for son and St Hilary's, Godalming for daughter. If you go for the latter then it's v.quick up the A3 from Hindhead; otherwise get school bus from Haslemere if you move to Liphook (until the tunnel is finished). Otherwise I'd choose the Highfield/Brookham route.

bebege Thu 21-Jan-10 14:49:28

Hye,
I would truly recommend you look at St.Ives School for girls and Haslemere Prep for boys, both are excellent schools and have recently formed a federation enabling a sibling discount and bus link etc. Both schools offer small class sizes and specilaist teaching. I have a child at both and they are thriving academically and individually.

duchesse Thu 21-Jan-10 14:57:47

Our children went to Yateley Manor and loved it. Academic but loads of other extra curricular stuff and good pastoral support. That may be a nit far for you though.

My husband was at Lanesborough about a million years (well, 35) and loved it, but no idea what it's like now.

Cosette Mon 25-Jan-10 22:37:15

From Hindhead I'd avoid coming North during the rush hour if you can avoid it. The Royal School (girls) is great, it gets good academic results, has good drama/music provision and is well worth a visit. For your DS - either Haslemere Prep, or take a look at St Edmunds (although they have recently gone co-educational so could be suitable for your DD too).

Will123 Fri 19-Nov-10 20:57:52

Just reading this posting and wondering what you decided
gingee? We are looking at prep schools in exactly the same area. Really like the sound of Aldro and St Catherines or St. Hilary's. St. Edmunds is also a great school too, quite relaxed I have heard.

mummytime Sat 20-Nov-10 08:39:57

Also you can't write off GHS as the senior school not being as good as the Prep (similar with Tormead etc.), sorry but their seniors schools are fabulous. Actually I'd also say Frensham Heights is similar as in the senior school if anything is superior.

But I would also avoid coming north, the schools in Hindhead all have good reputations.

schoolchauffeur Sat 20-Nov-10 22:06:14

St Eds is a great school- biased as I used to work there as admin staff. Very well run, great head and a really nice atmosphere. Would have loved my DS to go there but we had to move north for work reasons. Recently gone co-ed and I am sure that they will have thought this out well. Some fabulous teachers and if you are thinking of boarding at all the house parents are really great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now