Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Could anybody tell me about the speacial eductaional needs register?

(12 Posts)
fairyfly Mon 20-Jun-05 11:01:14

or whatever its called as i have no capacity to retain information.
After struggling with school for two years my 6 year old son has just been added onto it. Could anyone tell me in lamens terms what this now means, or if it has been working for your child. I thankyou.

homemama Mon 20-Jun-05 11:13:11

Hi fairyfly, it used to be in stages 1-5 now they're called something else (cant remember) Anyway the 1st one is teacher concern were notes are made to keep check on a child's progress. Next school action. This is very vague, could mean specific work or extra time with teacher r help from a teaching assistant. Basically, just means that the school have taken action.
ext step up is school action plus, this means referral to ed psych oroutside agencies or some form of help. Although in some schools just means extra time/help given to child.
Think there's another one then statementing which means the LEA and school/parents have agreed on a statement of how to help child-usually means extra hours and one to one.
Check where your child fits.
Sorry if bit vague, an s.p teach may be able to help more.

Jayzmummy Mon 20-Jun-05 11:13:19

Is your having difficulties with his ability to learn at school? Being on the register means he will have been placed on school action or school action plus. This means his learning style is being monitored and interventions put into place to assist him whilst at school. Have you spoken with the Special Educational Needs Officer at school? (This is the SENCO) Have the school asked an Educational Psychologist to assess your son?

If his needs are not met then you can apply for your son to be statuatory assessed and he could qualify for a statement of educational need which would mean he will get the additional one to one support that he may need to help him with his school day.

coppertop Mon 20-Jun-05 11:17:05

A child is put on the SEN register if it's thought that they need extra or different help within the school. This is called School Action. What should then happen is the teacher and SENCO (person in charge of everything to do with special needs in the school) should get together with you to write down some targets for your ds. The targets depend on what help your ds needs but it might be something like "Ds to sit on the carpet without disturbing the other children". They then decide how they are going to do this and also write this down on the plan, eg "To give stickers when he sits quietly" or "Use social stories to explain why he needs to be quiet". This plan is called an IEP (Individual Education Plan).

If for some reason they can't manage to help without some kind of outside help, your ds will move up to the next stage - School Action Plus. There will again be an IEP with targets but this time outside professionals will be used/consulted, eg Occupational Therapist, Speech Therapist, Child Psychologist etc.

homemama Mon 20-Jun-05 11:20:25

jayzmummy, so much better worded tham me! I'll stick to maths
Fairyfly, Bare in mind that a lot depends on the school and LEA you're in. If they have high % of children on the SEN reg. They may be less inclined to support stat. asses.
Also, some children just need a bit extra to catch up then come back off!
Hope it all goes well!

fairyfly Mon 20-Jun-05 11:23:30

Thanks for posting. He is not getting a grasp at english or maths, his behaviour is fine. Not enough key words are recognised, his writing ability is poor etc.
So do i ask for a meeting with the senco person and ask if i can see his IEP? Should that be my next step. I tbh think he could be dyslexic but i don't know enough about it and they won't test till he is 8.

coppertop Mon 20-Jun-05 11:26:56

Yes, I'd definitely speak to the SENCO. They may also be able to give you advice about assessments for dyslexia too. If an IEP is written they are supposed to involve you in setting the targets or at the very least ask you to read and sign them.

fairyfly Mon 20-Jun-05 11:30:53

Thankyou very much, i will ask when i pick him up.

happymerryberries Mon 20-Jun-05 16:10:44

In the school I work in staff, child and parents agree what is on the IEP.

About 15-16% of children will be on the SEN regester at some point in their school life. Some will be on it for a little while to overcome a 'blip'. Others may be on it for all their school days. I have very able children in the sixth form who are on the SEN regester.

Fio2 Mon 20-Jun-05 16:42:27

the IEP is useful for you to do with him at home aswell FF. Hope you are okay

fairyfly Mon 20-Jun-05 17:28:41

Right well now i am armed with a few facts i will make sure i am kept up to date and involved, thankyu, yep fio, i'm grand

fairyfly Mon 20-Jun-05 17:33:30

Just seen the way i have wriiten Special in the title, is it any wonder he can't spell

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now