Talk

Advanced search

What's the going rate? - Student Language Tutor

(5 Posts)
Lapsedrunner Tue 10-Nov-09 21:21:26

Just looking to guage what the market rate is? The background info is that I am looking for someone to speak German to my DS(7) to maintain his fast fading language skills. I might have found a post grad student and trying to establish at what level to pitch hourly rate. Have previously paid someonelse's Au Pair £8 per hour to babysit in German but realise I might have to pay a bit more. Hoping not to enter the "tutor" realms of £25 per hour. Any advice?

Lapsedrunner Tue 10-Nov-09 21:32:59

gauge even.....

frakkinaround Tue 10-Nov-09 21:36:28

Midway between - so around £15 an hour?

How much experience does said postgrad have? Are they very local? How much of a commitment is it? What sort of thing do you want the tutor to do?

If it's actual tutoring (setting excercises, correcting them as well as teaching) then you need to look in the £15-20 range because there's obviously prep/marking to do. If it's more chatting and playing games then I wouldn't go much higher than £15 unless they're terribly experienced and you really want them.

Lapsedrunner Tue 10-Nov-09 21:44:08

Not expecting any proper teaching or setting/marking exercises etc, just looking for conversation, perhaps play board games in the language for example. Ideally move on to reading in German but initially just oral. Gut feeling is £10-£12? Not met them yet and no, not massive amount of previous experience.

frakkinaround Tue 10-Nov-09 22:30:48

Offer £10 and negotiate up. Thing is if it's just an hour you need to make it worth their while coming so might need to think about offering a tad more than you might otherwise have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now