Talk

Advanced search

so embarrased - ds crying Leaving preschool

(8 Posts)
emily05 Fri 17-Jun-05 15:52:38

Ds has now been to 3 preschool session (each of 2 and a half hours long). Every time he has been really upset leaving!

Most peoples children seem really pleased to see their mummy and cry arriving! Not my one. He runs off when we get there and cries when leaving. I am starting to think the staff there must think that I abuse him! This afternoon he had a tantrum and was crying "I dont want to leave" as we left the building.

Will this improve as he gets used to it and realises he will be going back?

Marina Fri 17-Jun-05 15:57:48

Yes it will emily, and just because no-one else's child in your particular year group is doing this, don't think the staff haven't seen this all before. It is honestly very common.
It's all about how they cope with the transition from one environment to another.
Early days for him yet. Have a word with his keyworker, I am sure it will reassure you.

cazzybabs Fri 17-Jun-05 16:00:46

Oh god my child is exactly the same. I can never get her to leave - she even says she wants to sleep their! It is so embarrsing! But I see it as the fact she has a fantastic time there and its better tham her crying all the time she's there!

SoupDragon Fri 17-Jun-05 16:06:56

Hugely embarrassing isn't it? DS2 never wants to come home with me. Sigh.

Hulababy Fri 17-Jun-05 16:08:43

We have this too; makes you feel so wanted doesn't it?! DD doesn't cry but she does complain, or plain refuses to move until she has finished what she is doing! Still, on a good note, at least you know that they are happy there.

happymerryberries Fri 17-Jun-05 16:12:13

My dd (now 8)was the same when she started in pre school!

If it makes you feel any better she is a delightful girl, who enjoys time with us, and is very confident in school and other places as well.

gscrym Fri 17-Jun-05 16:19:59

My DS hides whenever DH goes to pick him up from childminder. He shouts that we can't take him away and it's his home.

He'll grow out of it and the pre-school will have seen it all before.

emily05 Fri 17-Jun-05 18:47:10

Thank you all so much. That is very reassuring! I am glad that he seems to love it there so much, as it would be worse if he did not because then I would feel really bad.

I seem to feel guitly, embarrased or bad a lot since having ds. Just hoping that it gets easier if we decide to have another one! It must be part of parenthood to always worry about something!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now