Talk

Advanced search

OU - Any studied E111 course (supporting learning in school)

(8 Posts)
Schoolsec Thu 05-Nov-09 21:02:40

Hi, anyone studied the above course? It is course aimed at helping teaching assistants - is it any good?

Hulababy Thu 05-Nov-09 21:08:10

I haven't but it may well be the course my friend completed last year. It was a year long level 4 qualification???

Is there anything you want to know? I can check with her and ask.

Schoolsec Thu 05-Nov-09 21:09:52

sounds like it may be the one . Could you ask her if it helped her with her job and what subjects she studied? OU website is a bit woolly. Ta!

MavisGrind Thu 05-Nov-09 21:16:01

Hello, I'm studying this at the moment. smile

Only just started so possibly can't be that much help but it seems ok so far (how helpful!)

I'm in Scotland and have been in contact with another student that has more school experience than me and she feels that it's fairly English-centric is that's an issue for you.

I'm studying it to help me get onto teacher training/get working in school so I'm not sure how much it would benefit someone already in the job.

Having read that back it really isn't helpful at all! Is there anything specific you'd like to know?

Schoolsec Thu 05-Nov-09 21:37:53

I'm studying it to do teacher training too, along with an English degree. Thought you had to be in a school to sign up - do they check ? I am just a volunteer at the moment .

MavisGrind Thu 05-Nov-09 21:40:46

I don't think they check but looking at the TMA's you do need to have a school place (first TMA is all about your role in school). I'm just a volunteer too so that's no problem.

Hulababy Thu 05-Nov-09 21:45:31

Will ask her about the sunjects she took.

It was E111, I confirmed with her.

She already has a degree and had been working for a few years, not in education. She had also been doing some voluntary work in a primary school. Just prior to beginning the E111 she got a job as a TA in a Y6 class.

She did the E111 last year, finishing this summer.

She is now int he first term of a PGCE course, working towards her PGCE and QTS in secondary education - Vocational Studies.

IIRR a lot oft h coursework required you to draw on evidence from your school work, so you need to be in school - either paid or volunatry.

gorgeousgirl68 Sat 07-Nov-09 21:37:46

Hello, I'm doing the course with the ou just now. Its very good. Its interesting and helpful to your work in the classroom. Very though provoking. And gives you a better understanding of what exactly it is you are doing!
Not too hard to understand, although the assignments are a challenge if you havent done anything like this for donkeys years.
I'd def recommend. The tutors are great too, very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now