Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

11 plus- how do you feel about it now it's nearly all over?

(10 Posts)
deaddei Thu 05-Nov-09 21:00:25

Ds has 2 tests looming over the next month for uber selective grammar schools. We can't wait for the mass bonfire of the Bond papers. But we have to be realistic....there will be up to 2000 boys applying for those 140 places, many of whom will have been tutored long and hard over the last year.
I have got to the point where I really can't be arsed with it anymore- he doesn't have a burning desire to go to either of them, and fancies the local improving comp.9where he will probably go, and I'd be very happy)
I have a feeling he could deliberately flunk the tests, and tbh don't care.
What are your feelings now it's nearly all over?

deaddei Sat 07-Nov-09 16:04:19

No replies- are you all busy tutoring? wink

QOD Sat 07-Nov-09 16:20:22

Kent is all done & dusted, tests sat in September, results in October, SCAF forms in last week, places awarded in March and appeals start then....... ask again in March
LOL

newweeknewname Sat 07-Nov-09 16:35:58

I feel the same as you deaddei. I am fed up with the whole process and am increasingly looking at the nearest school and thinking "that'll be fine".
6 months ago was a completely different story, I was was all fired up, obsessive and focused. I think because the time is getting closer, and I realise there's little we can do now to improve scores more than a point or two, I am just accepting that its a bit of a lottery as to whether he gets through.
Some schools have started already, but DS has exams for others until January so ages to go for us.
yawn....

zanzibarmum Sun 08-Nov-09 23:15:47

It's not a lottery. GS exams are selective not on academic ability as such but as the basis of children who can bear endless repetition of mindless VR and NVR tests _ GS cream skim kids who are fairly systematic (robotic?) in terms of technique, speed and not easily bored.

newweeknewname Mon 09-Nov-09 10:32:07

Yes I know how the system works. I have a dd who has already gone through the grammar system and come out the other end.
But for ds2 it is a bit of a lottery as to whether he gets in or not, dependent on multiple factors and some luck of the draw.

MsDav Mon 09-Nov-09 15:00:48

I too will be absolutely relieved once it is all over... DS really enjoys the practice papers and tests and is still keen to go. Like Newweeknewname it will come down to how he is on the day. If he gets agitated by the crowds then it could be game over if he starts ticcing. Both the GS we have applied to have been more than helpful but obvioudly can only do so much to help.

mimsum Mon 09-Nov-09 22:17:32

MsDav - if it makes you feel any more confident, ds1 has tourette's and was absolutely fine during his entrance exams - I had no idea how he'd cope as at the time he wasn't very good with crowds (well, he's still not, but getting better grin)

I made sure the schools were aware of his condition and how it might manifest itself, gave them my mobile number and hovered in the area of the school in case I needed to get him out of there in a hurry, but none of that was needed

good luck to your ds

MsDav Tue 10-Nov-09 21:22:21

Thanks Mimsmum, It does help to hear that! The schools have been pretty understanding, he is sitting it in a quieter room etc..

Good to hear your DS was fine,

fingers crossed

Ferncottage Tue 10-Nov-09 21:25:23

Zanzibarmum - are you suggesting that GS children are robotic? because Iwas one and I take exception to that - or is it sour grapes?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now