Talk

Advanced search

Qualities you'd look for in a new headteacher

(14 Posts)
onthebus Thu 05-Nov-09 11:10:28

Just a general question really (although linked to the fact that it looks like DS's school's head may be leaving in the near future).

What qualities/skills etc do you look for in a headteacher? If you could choose a new head for your child's school, what would your job spec be

AboardtheAxiom Thu 05-Nov-09 11:16:29

I think these qualities are important:

approachable (to children and parents)

fair

someone with integrity who you could trust(someone you know you could confide in and know it will go no further - thinking probs at home that may affect your child's behaviour for example)

experience and knowledge of special needs or the willingness to throw themselves into attaining these

proactive

community focused

Was thinking about this oddly enough as DS's school have a fairly new head and I have yet to decide if I like her or not, mainly as sometimes she comes across as a little too business like. Think she will be a good head, is just different to last one and will take getting to know.

doubleexpresso Thu 05-Nov-09 21:04:28

I would look for the following: Sense of humour. Calm and highly organised. A positive 'can do' attitude. Someone who enjoys children's company. Someone who is unafraid of making difficult / unpopular decisions.

Iggi999 Thu 05-Nov-09 21:06:36

Someone without a god complex.

InterruptingKid Thu 05-Nov-09 21:07:41

tidyness - gives the school a sense of order
and not necc havign been one before.

mazzystartled Thu 05-Nov-09 21:09:38

vision
warmth
at least a little bit of gravitas

DS school has a new head - jury's still out

cat64 Thu 05-Nov-09 21:12:15

Message withdrawn

southeastastra Thu 05-Nov-09 21:19:28

we have a great new head. she's really turned the school around. she's just so full of energy and passionate! hard to explain why she's so good.

Lapsedrunner Thu 05-Nov-09 21:22:18

Stating the obvious but I'd list "leadership" as a major requirementsmile

roisin Fri 06-Nov-09 04:40:52

primary or secondary?
What size school?
(These factors would strongly influence what I would desire/expect from a HT)

cory Fri 06-Nov-09 11:22:53

Of course leadership is needed too, but it always freaks me out when I hear people (not meaning you, Lapse, as that was clearly in context of other posts) speaking as if leadership was the only desirable quality. I would want to know where he or she is going to lead them first.

Dd's first head in junior was forever being praised for his leadership. He was also a completely self-absorbed bastard who treated SN children as a nuisance and the PTA as an encumbrance. Teachers were too scared to question any of his decisions. He was very proud of his strong leadership.

Replaced with a gentle soul who never made an open display of his leadership- but the school seemed to work much better for him.

Lapsedrunner Fri 06-Nov-09 18:44:27

cory - as per your example "leadership" comes in many guises.

Kitchens Mon 09-Nov-09 06:51:11

Someone who is 'on the case' has a presence and is a good leader and by leader I mean someone who sets a good example and communicates well to staff and parents.

I have just moved dd (primary). Head was completely useless. Even when I wrote her a letter to say that dd would be moving schools I had no communication whatsoever. She didn't even write to me to acknowledge dd was going.

bloss Mon 09-Nov-09 07:13:15

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now