Talk

Advanced search

Open University Question

(5 Posts)
Kally Sun 01-Nov-09 17:39:33

Was recently speaking to a friend about this. can anyone give any input. I went on their website today. I work part time altho the hours as a carer are spread out I do get gaps and afternoons off where I could be utilizing that time to my benefit.

I recently changed career due to circumstances (single parent etc) and have just completed my NVQ2 in Care Support Work. I like this field but don't want to stay just doing care work and would like to secure myself perhaps in the admin of these fields. (I am also 53 in Jan and feel the physical side of it a bit strenuous hmm) altho there is still a lot of 'go' in me, it will eventually get harder physically for me)..

I have a Diploma from Toronto in Business Admin and wondered what the equivalent of it was here so I sent them an email asking how it was recognised over here (with regards to credits etc).

Was thinking of doing something in the social sciences etc. Has anyone got any experience with this...?

TheFallenMadonna Sun 01-Nov-09 17:41:12

I did psychology with the OU and loved it.

Kally Sun 01-Nov-09 17:46:52

What sort of 'credits' did you have? Did you just go for it? That was the course I was looking at actually smile. I just wondered what you have to have educationally to get 'on' that course.

TheFallenMadonna Sun 01-Nov-09 17:57:07

Well, there are 6 courses that are compulsory for a named psych degree; they make up a total of 285 points IIRC. That leaves you with another 75 points to get the degree. I have another degree, so could tranfer credit and didn't have to do any other than the compulsory courses.

TheFallenMadonna Sun 01-Nov-09 17:59:55

All the compulsory courses are level 2 or 3. It's fine to go in at that level if you have experience studying at university level and are reasonably confident.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now