Talk

Advanced search

Anyone organised a 'Christmas Shopping Evening' for their school ?

(14 Posts)
Flossydrop Thu 29-Oct-09 17:13:34

Hi,

I have noticed that quite a few schools have organised 'Christmas Shopping Evenings' where by they let out stalls for a fee and I guess make money from refreshments, raffle etc.

Before I consider this idea further, I just wanted some feedback on anyone who has organised one and wondered how succesful it was ?

We are a catholic Infant/Junior school in Surrey with around 450 children if that helps at all.

Also any advice on running one is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Floss

mathanxiety Thu 29-Oct-09 18:37:32

I have seen this done. You have to be careful about who exactly is in the school buildings around the children and what exactly they are selling.

The best one I had anything to do with had a bake sale too, where you could fill a box of a certain size with a variety of different Christmas bikkies for a flat price. The boxes held about a dozen. The crafts attracted the same kind of people who liked to munch Christmas goodies and people who came for the treats also took a look at the stalls. The crafters paid a stall fee, but they all wanted to know what sort of traffic was expected before committing an entire saturday coming up to Christmas, naturally enough. Their eyes lit up at the mention of the "crosspollination' with the bake sale, which was heavily advertised through the school and church -- parents supplied the biscuits, with a prize for the class which supplied the most for the sale.

vvvodka Thu 29-Oct-09 18:42:59

evening ones are for adults only.not kids. ticket price includes a mince pie and or punch. we've had stalls selling stuff only, which arent too successful. but include pamper sessions, and they are better. things like head massage for ten minutes or eyebrow threading etc.
basically its like organising the chrismas faire, but easier coz no kids involved.

Flossydrop Thu 29-Oct-09 18:55:14

Great, thanks thats good information. I was thinking of an evening with no kids. Hadn't actually thought of charging a ticket price though, just charging for wine etc and for the tables to be let out.
I understand sellers may be cautious as I cannot give any idea of numbers etc.
Maybe I will see if I can get some Mum's who may be in the beauty industry involved and incorporate a cake sale too !
Its worth giving a go I guess !
Thanks

Our school did this once.

It was a disaster with no one turning up.

Flossydrop Thu 29-Oct-09 19:04:07

oops OK I was a bit worried about that !

We just need some fresh ideas for fundraising, the typical summer fayre, Christmas fayre, spooky disco are great but we need extra events to raise more money. Problem is no one is interested being on our PTA so getting these events organised proves difficult !

JustGettingByMum Thu 29-Oct-09 20:16:50

Our school does one each year. Its in the evening - adults only - usually towards the end of the week so it doesnt eat into the weekend. Parents can buy tickets in advance which includes a drink on entry - wine or soft drink.
We have about 15-20 stalls, and charge them a flat rate table fee plus donate a gift to our raffle.
Generally indepents retailers like to come eg those selling cards, candles, jewellery, wooden toys etc.
Hope this helps!

twinklytoes Thu 29-Oct-09 22:31:55

we've combined one with the fair. i've got all the businesses from the noticeboard of our local pages of the ticker loving mummy site. They'll sit alongside the tombola and lucky dip and we're taking 10% of sales.

we're also putting fairground rides in the car park and the owners are also bringing a traditional sweet stall too. We'll get 10% of their sales too. My hope here is that it'll bring the local community in too as its all visual.

Clary Fri 30-Oct-09 00:21:55

I am staging one in 2 weeks! <wibble>

A couple of us did it last year and it was a big hit, tho not a massive money-spinner. This year's is bigger ie more stalls (about 20), I just hope I get the punters in.

Only 200 in the school. Have charged people so much per stall (last year did percentage which was complicated) and ticket (£3.50) includes glass of wine and home-made cakes.

Have had lots of folk wanting stalls, even at last minute, tho must say many of them are duplicates (ie Usborne, Virgin Vie, Phoenix).

I am hoping to make about £700-£800 but it's more about a good night out. We also have massages, reflex and mini beauty treatments on offer.

No children at ours btw.

deaddei Fri 30-Oct-09 17:47:19

ours were always well attended- the music teacher got a few of her friends together and they sang carols- lovely.
Home made Xmas food (pressie ideas) go down a storm- also local florists for wreaths/table decorations.
PTA went to local cash and carry to buy pocket money toys- stationary/stocking fillers etc, and that did a bomb- anything left over we sold at childrens fair a week later.

littlerach Fri 30-Oct-09 18:06:09

I helped organise one a few years ago.

You need ot sell tickets so you know people wil turn up.

If yo uinclude a drink in the ticket price then you don't ned a licence to serve alcohol.

I advertised on <whispers> netmums fo rlocal mums to have a stall, and we had a v good response.

We had about 40 stalls, each paid £10 plus a donation to the raffle.

Included were beauty treatments like head massage, manicure, reflexology.
The stalls were some of the usual ones like Body Shop, Virgin Vie, Phoenix. Then osme local ones, some craft type things, a sugardcraft stall, jams, cakes etc.

We then sold raffle tickets which usually makes a fair amount.

It was a v good night, we raised planty, but it was a lot of work. And clearing up!
WE decorated the rooms and had a seating area fo rpeople to have their drinks.

vitality Thu 05-Nov-09 12:09:01

You can find exhibitors at www.stallfinder.com Good luck if you do organise one!

vitality Thu 05-Nov-09 12:09:59

Oh and apart from Phoenix etc, Jamie at Home is fairly new and looks really interesting!! Try them...

wicked Thu 05-Nov-09 18:49:49

I haven't organised one, but have been to quite a few. They are usually called 'pampering evenings', owtte.

One of the useful things you can do is to tap into the expertise within your parent body. If you have 450 children in the school, you must have at least one mum who is a beautician (who will do makeovers and nails on the night), someone who does Indian Head Massage, someone who does Virgin Vie, someone who sells candles, books etc.

It's good to have a sit down time when someone gives a presentation, rather than having it exclusively mooching around stalls. One memorable one that I went to was a woman who described a capsule wardrobe and explained about having colours done.

These women will all pay for their stalls/spot, but you probably have other mums who can give demonstrations without having to fork out themselves. They may be able to demonstrate how to make a table decoration for Christmas, which guests can try out and make a donation for the supplies. Similarly, cake or cookie decoration, napkin folding etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now