Talk

Advanced search

Primary school maths

(8 Posts)
BonnieDG Mon 26-Oct-09 19:22:13

Are any parents involved in a campaign to
change the teaching of maths calculations in primary school. Currently primary school children are taught number lines. multiplication boxes, according to the Govt numeracy strategy. I consider that the more traditional columnar method is better for children. do any parents agree with me.
Bonnie DG

blametheparents Mon 26-Oct-09 19:24:50

Why are you asking?

'I consider that the more traditional columnar method is better for children.'
Are you an educationalist that has evidence for this?
Whether I had a personal opinion or not is irrelevant, since I would be unable to back up my opinions with evidence, which is crucial if you want to be taken seriously.

I'm not sure what you are really hoping to achieve.

sassy Mon 26-Oct-09 19:30:18

As a teacher (sec, not primary, though done lots of supply/TA work in upper primary) I have found the variety of number\maths strategies to be helpful to the vast majority of pupils. By the time they get to Y6 they are confident with at least one method - unlike the way we were taught where if you didn't get columns you were stuffed.

sassy Mon 26-Oct-09 19:36:08

Oh, and I would look at your punctuation if you want to start making proclamations about education wink

piscesmoon Mon 26-Oct-09 19:37:18

see this thread

piscesmoon Mon 26-Oct-09 19:41:06

I see that my link was started by you BonnieDG! I don't know why your original post got deleted but if you read through it again you will see all the many excellent reasons people gave for the 'new maths' for want of a better term-vastly superior to teaching DCs methods that work but they don't understand. I don't know why you have started the whole thing again!

blametheparents Mon 26-Oct-09 19:57:30

Thanks for the link piscesmoon

I will now step away from the thread.
Something seemed a bit strange about the OP anyway.
Clear the BonnieDG has some agenda or other!

piscesmoon Mon 26-Oct-09 20:03:26

We never worked out why the OP was deleted. Someone thought it something to do with advertising a book. There seems to be an agenda-lots of people took time to explain why columnar methods on their own were not a good idea.I don't think Bonnie wanted to hear that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now