Talk

Advanced search

Resources for teaching prepositions and verbs?

(10 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Sun 25-Oct-09 13:23:54

Message withdrawn

bramblebooks Sun 25-Oct-09 13:57:18

have you tried sparklebox?

BrigitDeathEaters Mon 26-Oct-09 15:37:11

Topmarks are absolutely fab- see here

Also some very good work on primaryresources verbs here and prepositions here

Another site I have stated to use alot is teachit

You have to sign up to it but it's free and there are loads of great resources for KS 1 and 2.

How old are the children you want the resources for?

sassy Mon 26-Oct-09 15:40:22

games - simon says teacher verbs

teachit brill as brigit says

sassy Mon 26-Oct-09 15:43:45

teaches verbs

tethersend Mon 26-Oct-09 15:44:20

Plastic cups and sweets IME... get the whole class to put the sweet under, on top, beside etc. as you call it out; make it a game where they can eat the sweet after.

Or even a simple 'Simon says' for the verbs.

Sorry, no visual ones though.

tethersend Mon 26-Oct-09 15:45:11

x-post sassy- great minds and all that, eh?

Louby3000 Mon 26-Oct-09 15:52:57

Charades for the verbs
Hide and Seek for the preps
Chinese Whispers for the preps

Sparklebox will have lots of visuals that you can make flashcards then they can play snap pairs, go fish etc together.

Get a 2 copies of the same book, one with busy active scenes, I am think a Usborne series one. Have one child-without telling the other child-decide what they are going to descried- ie the duck- but they CANNOT say duck so they willl be saying things like- They are next to the boat, the are not beside the boy playing football etc...

BrigitDeathEaters Mon 26-Oct-09 17:22:09

Or good speaking/listening/ concentration skills game. Draw a scene or random set of different shapes scatter around a page then describe in terms of prepositions.

e.g. draw a large square. Beside/ next to/ on the left/ on the right, draw a small triangle with a spot in the middle. Below/ under/ beneath the triangle draw a stick man with a lollipop in his right hand. etc etc. They then compare their picture with yours.

When they get the idea they can draw their own picture and describe it to a friend. Difficulty can be added by giving 2 or more instructions at once.

I play games like this with my hearing impaired pupils- they think it's great fun.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 27-Oct-09 21:26:46

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now