Talk

Advanced search

can someone explain to me why interactive white boards are so essential?

(128 Posts)
vvvodka Sun 25-Oct-09 10:58:08

because i truly think they are a waste of resources.

spokette Sun 25-Oct-09 11:02:57

Because we live in the 21st century.

If you want to go back to the days of children using a slate and chalk, be my guess.

FlorenceDaphne Sun 25-Oct-09 11:03:07

They save on photocopying...you don't have to buy so many dry wipe pens...

FlorenceDaphne Sun 25-Oct-09 11:03:57

You can do funky little moving things with them...

spokette Sun 25-Oct-09 11:04:24

CybilAviationAuthority Sun 25-Oct-09 11:05:05

I can't bear them either (perhaps the fact I can't work them might have something to do with it)

Give me chalk and blackboard to work with anyday of the week

Hassled Sun 25-Oct-09 11:05:24

They allow immediate access to websites which the whole class can see, they can be used to make numeracy etc more accessible and fun, they introduce children to technology at an early stage.

mablemurple Sun 25-Oct-09 11:05:40

Why do you think they are a waste of resources?

spokette Sun 25-Oct-09 11:09:28

I think Wi-Fi, gameboys, DS Lite are a waste of time. However, if my DTS wanted one when they are older, I would not stop them because we live in a technological age.

I wonder how many people thought microwave ovens were a waste of time but now have one?wink

vvvodka Sun 25-Oct-09 11:14:48

hmmmm, none of the reasons you have given appear to me particularly useful.
a big screen for showing a website in a computer lab with children then using thewebsite themselves seems to me useful, as an insturction tool, but in a classroom, i am yet to be convinced of their necessity.

most kids within my socio economic area all have lots of access to technology from a very young age. and i am talking within my surroundings, not on a general national level, so that reason doesnt justify spedning thousands of pounds on them.

dont knock the old slate and chalk. as learning tools, they are still pretty amazing.

i just think that resources could be spent on other more useful things. like a fan to cool the room down in the hot summer. or blinds, to prevent the sun coming in and turning the classroom into a sauna, so that the kids dont get headaches, creatinga s uitable learning environemtn.

or, and this is the big thing with me, those resourcs could be used to provide an extra teacher? or learning support assistant. they may be fun and funky, but do they actually enable children to learn better , faster, or majke them want to? ime, no.

Celia2 Sun 25-Oct-09 11:14:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CybilAviationAuthority Sun 25-Oct-09 11:18:49

I think some teachers are guilty of planning their lessons AROUND the white board rather than using them within their lesson iyswim

vvvodka Sun 25-Oct-09 11:18:51

spoketter, the games consoles youspeak of are not being provided by the school, or its pta, to enable your child to learn.

actually, these consoles arent such a wsste of time. a few years ago, my friend, a surgeon, was having trouble with the controls of some piece of equipment. her surgeon, suggested she go home and play on the playstation, to enable her to become more familiar with the controls so she could operate more confidently.

i am not suggesting that there shouldnt be any technology. laptops, desktops, and all sorts of other technological stuff can and is useful. i just dont think smart boards are useful

pointyhat Sun 25-Oct-09 11:20:10

I don't think 'essential' is the right word. They are a great asset.

1. can bring up websites/pictures that link in to the topic taught
2. can show film clips and adverts which could link into many topics but literacy related stuff mainly
3. can bring up maps of anywhere in the world which you can then choose from a wide selection of symbols/notes/labels to enhance what is being learned
4. huge selction of maths tools - from clock faces, to square paper, to fraction aids, oh so much - which aids whole class understanding
5. children can come up to show their answer/their working/their problem solving idea - whole class can see and comment and make changes
6. useful little devices like countdown clocks to help chunk up lessons and drive pace
7. great variety of educational games that can be an excellent introduction or plenary to lesson

I couold go on

Hassled Sun 25-Oct-09 11:21:23

vvvodka - it's not clear whether you are a teacher or a parent but the blinds/heat problems you describe do seem unacceptable - find a Governor on the Premises/Site Committee, and ask what spending plans are. Or approach the PTA - our PTA has funded blinds in the past.

pointyhat Sun 25-Oct-09 11:24:14

You don't just look at websites while doing IT in a computer lab.

Most classes have one slot per week in the IT lab.

Spending 5 minutes looking at a website to fit in with a history topic, RME, absolutely any topic at all, can have far more impact and be far more informative than reading an outdated text book or listening to the teacher talk

skidoodle Sun 25-Oct-09 11:25:28

Jesus, education in this country is obviously not working as it should if adults think expensive technology should be used just because it exists and is modern.

There is something so depressing about the lazy and stupid assumption that slate and chalk were poor technologies for teaching children but that "interactive" whiteboards are a must have because they are new.

skidoodle Sun 25-Oct-09 11:26:34

Yes, books are so outdated and teachers are just so dull.

ImSoNotTelling Sun 25-Oct-09 11:29:21

This is interesting. I have never even heard of these before today (parent of 2yo).

Is this in primary or secondary? What are the websites that are used? Aren't books used any more? <clueless emoticon>

pointyhat Sun 25-Oct-09 11:29:52

Some textbooks are outdated, yes. Not books. And teachers are not dull but sometimes seeing a picture or watching a case study is far more powerful than listening to your familiar teacher.

ChilloHippi Sun 25-Oct-09 11:30:49

I hate interractive whiteboards. They continually get broken and vandalised by kids (I work in fairly rough secondary schools) and most teachers I know just use the white boards (old fashined style) that are up next to them. At least they won't let you down.

senua Sun 25-Oct-09 11:31:05

Interesting question, vvodka. I have been considering asking the Headteacher to organise a demo for the parents so we can understand why these things were so wonderful.
I was getting a bit scared at grown-up teachers thinking that they are a Good Thing because they are fun and funkyhmm but thank you pointyhat for a more intellectual answer.

pointyhat Sun 25-Oct-09 11:31:28

Of course books are used. Smartboards are a great asset to teh classroom. They are not essectial.

Many children use mini whiteboards and pens for certain activities which are just the same as slate and chalk. Mini whiteboards and pens are an asset too.

pointyhat Sun 25-Oct-09 11:33:47

Also, you can save any work that is done so that you can go back the next day, or the next week, and add ideas or make changes.

This is great for teachers as they can save resources and re-use them without chalking things up over and over again.

skidoodle Sun 25-Oct-09 11:34:27

The amount of useless, expensive technology tat that schools are conned into buying is really a disgrace.

Then dumbass parents start winding up about whether the school has the latest tech, rather than trying to figure out what calibre of teacher they employ.

When pupil-teacher ratios are below 20, then I think I might think spending money on electronic gizmos was not a complete waste of money and dereliction of duty to educate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now