Talk

Advanced search

Statements don't come with funding anymore! What does this mean? How?

(93 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Mon 19-Oct-09 17:28:33

Message withdrawn

yomellamoHelly Mon 19-Oct-09 17:31:33

Not heard that one. Got told that wording of statement will not be affected by the scarce amount of resources there are. Hmmmm. Not what all the therapists and the head at my son's special school are all saying!

yomellamoHelly Mon 19-Oct-09 17:32:03

Off the record, mind!

londonone Mon 19-Oct-09 17:57:37

Depends on the statement. Some statements are simply about placement, some involve a certain number of hours support, some do not. What exactly have you been told?

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 19-Oct-09 18:14:09

Message withdrawn

londonone Mon 19-Oct-09 18:21:47

What do you mean by 1-1 SALT? Is he in mainstream nursery? Are you saying you want full time 1-1 SALT? How old is he? What setting is he currently attending?

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 19-Oct-09 18:27:12

Message withdrawn

londonone Mon 19-Oct-09 18:33:13

How old is he?

londonone Mon 19-Oct-09 18:37:11

Have SALT assessed him? Do they feel that individual work is specifically required? Has this been indicated in their submissions?

londonone Mon 19-Oct-09 18:38:46

What stage are you at in the statementing process? Sorry for all the questions but as all cases are different it's difficult to help without lots of info!

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 19-Oct-09 18:41:42

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 19-Oct-09 18:42:52

Message withdrawn

londonone Mon 19-Oct-09 18:48:20

So he is being assessed at the moment. If SALT have assessed him and they are offering group work then it is unlikely you would be offered more than that as in their opinion (rightly or wrongly) that is what he needs. What do you mean about them lying?

If he is not currently attending full time then it may well be that they won't offer full time support as his attendance is not compulsory at this stage.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 19-Oct-09 18:53:52

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Mon 19-Oct-09 18:56:39

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 19-Oct-09 19:13:01

Message withdrawn

tibni Mon 19-Oct-09 19:13:51

Statements used to bring £££ into schools so schools were keen to apply. Then the funding system changed and each school is now allocated a budget for SEN (that is not ringfenced angry.

The ammount of SEN funding a school gets is influenced by social area of school and number of free school meals.

I understand the idea behind this was that additional needs vary; not all SEN children need a statement for their needs to be met and funding is available for statemented and school action / action + students. Some additional needs are only temporary and with a little support and help they can manage within the standard class environment. This is the theory.

It is also true that there is AEN funding (additional educational needs) that LA's provide for students with students with significant extra needs. My own ds, when in mainstream, had 32.5hrs funded by AEN.

Statements give a legal protection - what is specified has to be provided. Statements can be very useful for children with significant needs.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 19-Oct-09 19:22:58

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 19-Oct-09 19:50:46

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Tue 20-Oct-09 08:06:54

Message withdrawn

londonone Tue 20-Oct-09 17:41:53

tibni - I am not sure what you are basing that on but it is not correct or certainly isn't in my authority. Overall SEN funding for SA and SA+ is within the delegated budget and not ringfenced but this is not meant to cover statements, hence why you apply to the LA for a statement and not the school.

Starlight - Do the school support your application? It sounds like the 5 hours is the maximum on SA+. What support do you feel your child needs and do you have an EP who backs this up?

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 20-Oct-09 18:07:31

Message withdrawn

londonone Tue 20-Oct-09 18:22:10

I have to say then that it is unlikely you will get 1-1 support for you son. The fact that it appears that you don't have the support of any of the professionals who are working with your son is likely to be detrimental to the request for support. Once again I am not saying this is wrong or right. It sounds very much like the 6 hours are the SA+ funding from the delegated budget and the school cannot offer anything further. The difficulty is that with very young children it is often difficult to show that they meet criteria for statementing. What have you put down as his primary need?

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 20-Oct-09 18:30:23

Message withdrawn

londonone Tue 20-Oct-09 18:34:51

Sorry I wasn't clear. What have you indicated his primary need as on his statement i.e medical, BESD, SpLD, MLD etc etc?

The fact that it is a private Paed may not be helping as there are a number of private practitioners out there who will just say what the bill payer wants to/needs to hear and this is something LAs are wary of.

Have you looked at the graduated response of the LA to see whether your son meets the criteris for whatever his primary need is?

Can you get an NHS opinion?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now