Talk

Advanced search

Incidents occurring out of school

(6 Posts)
Vallhala Sun 18-Oct-09 18:52:29

Can anyone give me a definition of "out of school" with regard to occurences such as bullying, harassment, or verbal or physical abuse?

For example, if a pupil who is wearing uniform but is on his way home from school after the end of the day and is not on school grounds hits another would this officially be considered a school matter or, as school is over and he is off the premises, out of the school's hands?

Is there anything written in stone which describes where the line is drawn in such cases and where a Headmaster's duty ends and a Policeman's begins?

MissAnneElk Sun 18-Oct-09 18:59:57

I suspect it's a very grey area and depends entirely on the individual school's attitude. DD1s school would certainly view it as a concern for them if it was happening on the journey to and from school.

I'd ask for the assistance of the school, but if I wasn't happy and felt it needed intervention by the police, then I'd contact them. Do you have a Community Support Officer? That could be a good middle ground to start with.

Vallhala Sun 18-Oct-09 19:20:35

That's the route I've had to take with regard to DD being bullied in such circumstances MissAnne as the school say they can't help. The problem is, she's got so sick of being bullied that she's retaliated and now it appears that the school "do" consider it their affair.

They intend to punish her - it's no big deal in itself, my DD aimed (and missed) a cold tub of soup at a boy who had repeatedly called her a (excuse the language but I think it needs saying) "Ginger cunt". The boy and his pal have been bullying in one way or another for ages now, the school has been very unhelpful (official complaint has now been served upon them for this), and DD just saw red. It's not the lunchtime detention she faces that concerns me, its the way I know she'll react, absolutely furious that she's being punished for an out of school event given that when she's suffered problems under similar circumstances and been told that there is nothing that the school can do.

And tbh. I feel like reacting with fury about it too!

piscesmoon Sun 18-Oct-09 19:20:59

Technically out of school-but a good school would look into it, if asked.

piscesmoon Sun 18-Oct-09 19:22:17

I have just read your post-it crossed-I would go into school and take it further.

MissAnneElk Sun 18-Oct-09 19:34:21

I don't blame you for being furious. If it were me I'd want an appointment with either the head teacher or the head of year - or maybe even both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now