Talk

Advanced search

How to get into state school after private?

(133 Posts)
Fossie Fri 16-Oct-09 20:11:30

I have taken my 2 elder children (girls) out of their private school after it was taken over and has changed so much we no longer want to continue there. We have a son at private school and a 2 year old. I want to find a state school for my elder two, keep my son where he is and get my youngest into the same school as elder two. But, all the decent schools have no places. We are not even top of a waiting list for our closest school and they have been on that waiting list for 10 months. The council say we have to find a school ourselves and can recommend ones with places but these are either far way or poor or both. I am now home educating. How can we get them into a good school? Hope someone has some good ideas out there.

SecretSlattern Fri 16-Oct-09 20:13:47

just a case of waiting i reckon

petelly Fri 16-Oct-09 21:20:55

You can appeal.

choccyp1g Fri 16-Oct-09 21:25:13

Well, what do you expect really? They can't keep a few spare places in the good schools in case some-one decides to move in, whether due to house moves, changing from private or being excluded.

I think you can try the available school , and remain on the waiting list for the one you prefer. You might find it is not so bad as you fear.

spokette Fri 16-Oct-09 21:40:45

Have you actually visited the schools you consider poor? There is a big gaping canyon between what you think a school is like and what it is actually like.

Fossie Fri 16-Oct-09 22:44:06

Eldest girl is very bright and other is not far behind. Eldest got 3,3,3 for SATs ks2 and is doing well at home. If pupils go up half a level each year (as I understand from my own teaching days) then she should get level 5 at ks3 (aged 11) if noone in a school is getting a 5 at that school then my own child is less likely to be able to reach her potential at that school. I know you can't keep places available to people in 'good' schools but I was hoping I guess for appeal advise given my circumstances. Does anyone know what councils (in my case Croydon) know think about Home schooling as an alternative to school because no places are available?

seeker Fri 16-Oct-09 22:45:38

Well, the year before the year in which they turn 5 you fill in an application form......oh, sorry, you've missed the window for doing that.

I'm afraid you'll just have to wait then. Or lower your sights and have a look at the schools you consider 'poor'. What makes you think they are 'poor', by the way?

Morosky Fri 16-Oct-09 22:49:25

I think people are being little harsh, the OP is clearly worried even if the rest of us who happily use the state system do not agree with her concerns.

It may be a good idea to look around some primaries, even the ones you think are poor. Unfortunatley I don't think you have circumstances for an appeal.

This will seem odd coming from me, but is another private school an option?

MissAnneElk Fri 16-Oct-09 22:58:16

I'm not sure there is a great deal you can do. It's no surprise that the best schools are full so you can either go on a waiting list, move house, choose one of the other schools, pick a private school or home educate. Not entirely sure which of your 'circumstances' would qualify you for an appeal.

CarGirl Fri 16-Oct-09 23:01:13

my dd1 went to a "poor" junior school it failed its ofsted the summer before she started there.

She got 5c 5b 5b there and she wasn't the only one?

UnquietDad Fri 16-Oct-09 23:02:28

Yyyyyyeah.......that's kind of what happens.

Fossie Fri 16-Oct-09 23:13:54

We have paid our taxes like everyone else and I don't see why we should have so few choices. Now we have 4 kids, private education is too expensive for them all. Yes they are poor you just have to read the ofsted results. Why are schools so bound by 30 to a class? I taught larger classes at secondary school when I was a teacher. I think it is different when you move to a new area/move out of private (there is a recession on you know)than those in a school they have been happy to accept but would rather be elsewhere given the chance.

CarGirl Fri 16-Oct-09 23:17:19

Fossie there are many many parents who did not get the school of their choice and are on waiting lists for "better" schools.

You can embrace HE, send them to a school with spaces and support their learning at home, or find a different private school.

More radically you could move house to an area that has a "good" school with spaces.

Sadly this is the econonmical reality that many of the population endure.

MissAnneElk Fri 16-Oct-09 23:18:36

Sorry, I'm speechless at your reply of 23.13. I think you just need to go away and think about each of your points rationally.

seeker Fri 16-Oct-09 23:19:29

So which of your circumstances do you think would give you grounds for appeal?

UnquietDad Fri 16-Oct-09 23:19:48

Fossie - I could be flippant and say "welcome to the real world." But sadly, that's just where you are. These are the difficulties that ordinary parents face every day. Fun, isn't it? Welcome to state school life. Hope you hang around.

Fossie Fri 16-Oct-09 23:20:04

I doooo soooo hope someone in politics is reading these comments because I think it is sooo rubbish that this is the state of education in this country.

CarGirl Fri 16-Oct-09 23:22:33

Will it also be unfair if you could only afford to buy a house that is too small for 4 dc, in a rough area surrounded by very wealthy people?

That's our life and I try to be grateful every day that my dh has a job, we do have a home, we do have food on our tables, we do have the NHS and forutnately we are all in okay health. Really shit secondary school btw, worst in Surrey 4 years running

UnquietDad Fri 16-Oct-09 23:24:30

But if you do your homework, look round the schools in time and find out which would be the one best suited to your child, you do have, to some extent, a "choice" depending on places available. Lots of parents take a great deal of time and effort to look at what the state provision is in their area.

For some it isn't a great or meaningful choice - for others it is. It's a bit of a lottery.

But you chose not to do that. You chose to buy yourself out of this system rather than go through what 93% of parents do every year. And now you express surprise that there are no places available at the "best" schools.

Forgive me for not being more sympathetic, but it's a bit like going to a really wild party with some celeb friends instead of the one your mates have invited you to, then turning up at your mates' house at 11pm and moaning that everyone else has drunk all the decent wine and there is only el vino plonko left.

1dilemma Fri 16-Oct-09 23:27:49

UD I'll say it for you!

welcome to the real world

loads of children round here didn't get school places for reception it's shaken out a little now but we're getting letters asking whether we wish to remain on the W/L, lots of people had to take one of the poor schools round here too because they had no choice!

Can't see that you've got any grounds for an appeal

when dc4 gets into one of them the others will move up the list if they have sibling priority!

llaregguBOO Fri 16-Oct-09 23:28:37

Why is your son still in private school? Now that is an interesting decision. Will he stay private while your girls go to what you regard as an inferior school?

CarGirl Fri 16-Oct-09 23:30:21

You know something you can send your dc to a poor school and be instumental in supporting that school and being part of it changing and becoming a better & "good" school. That is what I endeavoured to do.

UnquietDad Fri 16-Oct-09 23:33:23

You also don't quite seem to understand what the appeals system is for, or how it works. It's not some kind of queue-jumping process for private-sector refugees who feel hard done by.

fortyplus Fri 16-Oct-09 23:36:05

Look aaaat the added value scores for the schools - don't go by results alone. In my experience if your dds are bright they will do well provided that they have support at home.

PerryPlatypus Fri 16-Oct-09 23:37:05

If you think that only children in the very best state schools get level 5s at KS2 then you obviously haven't done enough research.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now